1.3 kg rye
rice hulls
Mash high for body - 68C
10g Columbus 13.2% 60 minutes
15g Celia 4.1% 60 minutes
20g Celia 4.1% 10 minutes
0.5 protofloc 10 mins
OMEGA Yeast – OYL-211 – Brett Blend #2 Bit O’ Funk

Pitched and temperature set to 23C (packet says 20-27C). Got a glycol chiller adaptor kit for my old anvil fv, so I can ferment this one for quite a while.
Got 21L at 1.064, so pretty dire efficiency, probably because the sparge was a pain in the ass. It reminded me of why I hate brewing with rye. Scorched a bit, but not too bad. The Omega Bit O’ Funk smelled amazing. I’d love to get some of that Brett aroma into this beer.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Today I did a brett beer.

5 kg pilsner
1.3 kg rye
rice hulls
Mash high for body - 68C
10g Columbus 13.2% 60 minutes
15g Celia 4.1% 60 minutes
20g Celia 4.1% 10 minutes
0.5 protofloc 10 mins
OMEGA Yeast – OYL-211 – Brett Blend #2 Bit O’ Funk

Pitched and temperature set to 23C (packet says 20-27C). Got a glycol chiller adaptor kit for my old anvil fv, so I can ferment this one for quite a while.
Got 21L at 1.064, so pretty dire efficiency, probably because the sparge was a pain in the ass. It reminded me of why I hate brewing with rye. Scorched a bit, but not too bad. The Omega Bit O’ Funk smelled amazing. I’d love to get some of that Brett aroma into this beer.
Sounds great. Been experimenting with brett quite a bit lately, mostly as a second fermentation of part of a batch. What's the blend in the OYL-211, do you know?

IainM

Landlord.
Reaction score
Sounds great. Been experimenting with brett quite a bit lately, mostly as a second fermentation of part of a batch. What's the blend in the OYL-211, do you know?
It's a blend of two strains that were classified as Brett, because they formed a pellicle I think, but were reclassified as saccharomyces. The are apparently fruity and tropical. It also has a classic brettanomyces bruxellensis. The smell when I opened the liquid pack was fantastic, just what I like from Brett beers like the Brasserie de la Senne ones. If the beer ends up anything like that I'll be happy. I heard that this blend ferments slowly, can be up to 3 months in primary! It is bubbling away, but I'm considering making an insulated jacket for the fv. Ferment temp is between 20 and 27, so I might ramp it up from the 23 it's at at the moment.

Latest posts