IBU's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although you've already said that neither predictions or measurement will ever be accurate. So your still reliant on your own sensory judgement and skill to reach a desired outcome.
Because there are too many variables to be precise. But by going by the graph where everything was equal pointed out to me the big difference in the final beer. Doesn't need to be complicated, I will still enter my amounts with Tinseth but make the IBU's missing from the scale if a recipe calls for 40 IBU I will use 80 IBU on the Tinseth scale.
The IPA I brewed 2 days ago I used 75 on the Tinseth scale. It doesn't bother me being a few IBU's out, but being adrift by 40 IBU's does concern me.

Doesn't need to be complicated, I will still enter my amounts with Tinseth but make the IBU's missing from the scale a recipe calls for 40 IBU I will use 80 IBU on the Tinseth scale.
Exactly what I've been saying. New, more complicated calculators, that require extensive parameters aren't necessary, when the work around for tinseth is so simple. :rolleyes:

Exactly what I've been saying. New, more complicated calculators, that require extensive parameters aren't necessary, when the work around for tinseth is so simple. :rolleyes:
My last brew predicted 75.1 IBU Tinseth, today checked it against the SMPH calculator it was 37 IBU. I know the brewer at Holgate Brewery so I will take a bottle to get checked next time I go up there.
But I have made a graph using Rager as there was more data on Rager than Tinseth so will use Rager on Brewers Friend in alignment with SMPH makes it simple.

Back