Ice Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just watched a "How It's Made" programme on Quest on the above.

Basically, the Canadian manufacturer ...

http://www.lesvergerslafrance.com/en/our-ciders.html

... leaves the raw apple juice outside to freeze and/or thaw over a period of 40 to 50 days. This freezing/thawing process results in a separation of the sugar content of the juice so that as the water freezes and floats to the top the sugar concentrates at the bottom of the tank.

When the concentration is high enough (they didn't say what that was) the bottom layer is drained off and fermented in the normal way to give a cider in the 10.5% to 11.0% ABV range. Done this way it apparently gives a strong "fruity" taste.

Looking at the system they use for bottling, the producers call it "Ice Cider" but as they bottle it in a similar manner to wine and with an ABV of +10% I reckon that it's more a "Apple Wine" than cider; this being reinforced by the explanation that the fermentation process can take up to 40 days.

Personally, I'm not terribly struck on cider and generally brew it for No.1 son and visitors but for an "Apple Wine" I may give it a whirl this winter when I work out how to slowly freeze a load of apple juice.

Maybe the Wilco PB will do the business?

Last edited:
Just been back through my Diary and I have recorded a straight Lidl Apple Juice recipe with an OG of 1.058.

Using the ABV Calculator I would require an OG of 1.090 to get an ABV of 10.5% with an FG of 1.010 so I presume that the "freeze" method to concentrate up the sugar must work well.

The programme also said that the producer recommended that the cider is served like a sweet wine with cheese, fruit, chocolate etc and I like the sound of that! :thumb:

The question now is "Which yeast?"

Any recommendations? :?:

Reviving this thread

@Dutto - did you ever get around to making an ice cider?

I had a drink of ice cider in Sweden a couple of years back, and I've never tasted something so intensely apple flavoured before or since - and I fancy giving it a go. Prices of commercial stuff also a good reason to give a try.

Dutto hasn't been seen on the forums for months, and I don't think will be coming back. 😢.

Just been back through my Diary and I have recorded a straight Lidl Apple Juice recipe with an OG of 1.058.

Using the ABV Calculator I would require an OG of 1.090 to get an ABV of 10.5% with an FG of 1.010 so I presume that the "freeze" method to concentrate up the sugar must work well.

The programme also said that the producer recommended that the cider is served like a sweet wine with cheese, fruit, chocolate etc and I like the sound of that! :thumb:

The question now is "Which yeast?"

Any recommendations? :?:
Lalvin EC1118 yeast. So far in my brewing adventures I've found this to be a good one to use for most ciders/wines.

Latest posts

Back