Iceland to offer loan's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So to get back on topic is this a good or bad thing?
Neither. It's a fairy story.
How is a supermarket chain going to test the "suitability" of it's punters for purchases on "tick"?
What's to stop any Tom, Dick or Harry going in for a basketful and just disappearing?
What collateral is going to be required.

Those in real need simply won't qualify.

How is a supermarket chain going to test the "suitability" of it's punters for purchases on "tick"?
What's to stop any Tom, Dick or Harry going in for a basketful and just disappearing?

They're not. They're using a not-for-profit lender. I suspect your final point will be borne out though ☹️

It's a "loan"...which in theory will have to be paid back. If you default I suspect it'll be a solicitor job,fine,interest or whatever. Neither of which anyone who can't afford their next meal will be able to pay. I suspect its a gimmick...Iceland "loan" £50 worth of food to 1 million people and those people don't pay back they go bust..plus people need feeding quite regularly...so is it just one load or a years worth? Plus...will they be offering the free delivery or will that come with a £50 charge?
Or is the country Iceland and has this been looked at by Gordon Brown?

You need to read this Cost of living: Iceland to offer interest-free loans to customers to better understand how the scheme will work.

You need to read this Cost of living: Iceland to offer interest-free loans to customers to better understand how the scheme will work.
Thanks for the link. All I needed to know is here:

Managing director Richard Walker said loans - provided by charity-owned lender Fair For You - would only be offered to those who can afford them.

How will they assess who can afford them?
Those in real need will continue to be deprived of fish fingers.
A noble attempt by Iceland to steal a march on their competitors for marketing opportunism.

Societally bad and a sad reflection of where we are. At least Iceland is willing to do something to help provide food for those who are potentially in desperate measures.
It's a good thing for a retailer to assist customers but it's sad that the retailer has to assist. It's both sad and bad that consumers has to buy food on credit, irrespective of whether there's interest involved.

Thought we do have a fuel cap.....
Nahh the fuel cap is to give energy companies a green light to hike their prices up. They don't have to raise them I phoned Shell energy they said they are putting theirs up in line with the cap. Do they have to or will they because they can?

Nahh the fuel cap is to give energy companies a green light to hike their prices up. They don't have to raise them I phoned Shell energy they said they are putting theirs up in line with the cap. Do they have to or will they because they can?
Yes they can do what they want. I didn't say otherwise

Obviously they have to. Or maybe they can get special cheap gas from their secret cupboard.

No secret cupboard just secret billions.
Yes businesses shouldn’t be making money. Sometimes if prices fall then they will lose money but that’s just tough luck. But if they make profits we should share it all out between us.

12 years of Tory mismanagement has made us a 3rd world country. Now is the time for change, whoever wins the poison challis should immediately call a GE. When we get 1980’s style riots it will be the poor police who be in the firing line as they were then.
1660774489548.png

I wonder who was mismanaging the country in 2008-2009? That was without Covid and a war in the Ukraine.

Latest posts

Back