Identifying a peice of equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itry

Regular.
Reaction score
Can you help me . I'm trying to figure out if a some thing exists before I go and invent and make it.

I have a 60l pot and a huge mash basket to fit it. Lifting the basket is going to be an issue. My pot is mounted at waste height. I cant fit a unistrut to the roof. I'm looking for a structure that can straddle the pot and be used to winch the basket up. Not looking for a scaff pole construction. Possibly de constructible so it can be put away.

Seems like a bit of an odd ramble but I know what I mean.

Can you help me . I'm trying to figure out if a some thing exists before I go and invent and make it.

I have a 60l pot and a huge mash basket to fit it. Lifting the basket is going to be an issue. My pot is mounted at waste height. I cant fit a unistrut to the roof. I'm looking for a structure that can straddle the pot and be used to winch the basket up. Not looking for a scaff pole construction. Possibly de constructible so it can be put away.

Seems like a bit of an odd ramble but I know what I mean.
I know what you mean, I was thinking of making something but I have span over my brewing set up. But driving past a aged care facility I spied a couple of hoists being thrown out. Now I get into enough trouble bringing home hard rubbish, but they would have been ideal for mounting a Jib to, but same as you where to store and I had already solved the problem. Could be worthwhile phoning around some local aged care facilities. I am sure the hoists could be modified to suit your needs.

@Foxy1973 you get me! Good! I was spying one on ebay but space for me is the thing. My brewery is full. Really really full!! Especially after bringing in a chest freezer and shelfs!

@Foxy1973 you get me! Good! I was spying one on ebay but space for me is the thing. My brewery is full. Really really full!! Especially after bringing in a chest freezer and shelfs!
Mate there are lots of things I would love to put in the back yard. Trouble for me is I face some stiff opposition. The hoist would have been ideal lift the grain basket and wheel it out of the way. With a fixed jib above the kettle I have to swing it out of the way. And I am a barefoot brewer.

I am also a bare foot brewer. I figure though that once its drained of water I'll be able to lift it. Maybe just maybe marble work tops in a brewery arnt such a good idea. If it was wood I could build into it.

I remember seeing a photo in Morton's book. He'd put a step ladder on the table over his pot and had some kind of pulley arrangement to pull out his brew bag.
If that sounds like a goer I can send you the picture.

IMG_20210213_104137.jpg

Here it is. Credited to James Morton in his book "Brew".

Last edited:
That's good food for thought. I was going to make it from metal. £120 in materials........ yes I over engineer but I may need to investigate it from wood. I dont do wood im a metal man.

You just need a tripod. Three lengths of wood bound together at the top with a pulley attached. You might need to have lengths of string between the legs to stop them skidding apart.

Space is the issue. I'm out now measuring and making a plan. I cant seem to atach photos though. Grrr 100mp camera. And that's the only time you will hear that

If your engineering it yourself make a small A frame maybe? Castors on either end so it's manouverable. We used a huge version in work on an unaccessible project not long ago to lift a 1.5 tonne casing.

Alternatively you can make a strong bracket on the wall and mount a pulley on that if you have space?

Latest posts

Back