Idiot...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghillie

Landlord.
Reaction score
Made my best lager to date and after 6 weeks in the keg, was really looking forward to entering it into a couple of upcoming National competitions.

After a few beers last night, I decided I’d top up the keg of sparkling water in my keezer. Depressurised the keg, opened the lid and started filling from the hose. After 2L or so and a lot of foam, I got a whiff of beer. Lager to be precise...

So I think this beer may well be ruined. Fearing oxidisation more than anything else. Hoping it will settle out and be alright, but I have my doubts.

What. A total. Idiot.

Dohhh! That's really disappointing. I know exactly how it feels on discovering a self made stupid mistake, happens regularly in the Gulpitdarn household. asad1

In this hot weather I'm usually found with a tankard of whatever plus a fistful of ice cubes. Does it ruin the beer? No. You may well be fine.

If you drink it fast you'll be fine but the long term issue as you say is oxidation. The water you added will be full of it and I imagine it could stale the beer quite quickly. If you keep it very cold you might get away with if for longer.

Thanks guys, we’ll have to just see how we get on. A real pity as I was delighted with it and the beer had dropped so clear you could read a book through it. Hoping it drops just as clear over the next few weeks, at least to a standard fit for a competition.

Latest posts

Back