Idiots guide to corking needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadeus

Reaction score
Ok, my first attempts at using corks have not gone well.
First I go a cork stuck in the corking machine because I hadn't soaked it
on the second attempt I soaked the corks and now the collar that compresses the cork has cracked.

So... can some give me a fools proof guide?

Point me towards a good corker, corks that are suitable for said corker and a how to use guide.

Sorry to be a pain but i've got 6 gallons of finished wine waiting in plastic bottles and nice new wine rack looking
rather empty. :(

Also are shrinks just cosmetic or do they have a practical function too?

Amadeus said:
Ok, my first attempts at using corks have not gone well.
First I go a cork stuck in the corking machine because I hadn't soaked it
on the second attempt I soaked the corks and now the collar that compresses the cork has cracked.

So... can some give me a fools proof guide?

Point me towards a good corker, corks that are suitable for said corker and a how to use guide.

Sorry to be a pain but i've got 6 gallons of finished wine waiting in plastic bottles and nice new wine rack looking
rather empty. :(

Also are shrinks just cosmetic or do they have a practical function too?

i only just figured how to use my hand corker after a few weeks, lol.

anyway all my troubles where my actual corks, not the corker, i used the corks that wilkinsons sell, absolutly **** , really fragile cork, with big gaps in them.

went over to leyland homebrew after seeing the corks my mate used and got some of those, he charged me £3.50 for 50 (7p a cork) and what can i say, 1000x better, really solid compact type cork, they go in easier and they compress easier, more spongy if you know what i mean, well chuffed, and takes very little effort with the hand corker, i think they have youngs or ubrew written on them.

get better corks, seriously.

yes the shrink wrap is cosmetic, but if your storing your wine for a while it protects the cork, from now one any wine kits, get wrapped as i`ll be storing them, and the rest of me tc ot tw (turbo wine) will just be corked (may store a few ;)

Oh and no need to soak either!!!

hope this helps.

hi amadeus
a lever corker is a good investment around £15, never put corks in to water has it may leech in to your wine.

P1040866.jpg

there you go, seeing as i had me box out infront of me ;)

the crappy shitty one is on the right, from wilkinsons, these came in a youngs packet, however the branded youngs one is much much better quality ;)

Thanks all, the corks I have are like the one of the right with the holes.
Those youngs ones look much better....

The corker I had was a 2 handed lever corker. That's now knackered.
Monkey, what corker do you use? I've seen those red hand corkers done wilkos.

Corker
5452.jpg

This is the corker I use and it works great with the waxed corks! Never had a problem with it!

Corks
Favouite_corks.jpg

These are the corks I use, No soaking needed! 50 for about £3!!!

Amadeus said:
Thanks all, the corks I have are like the one of the right with the holes.
Those youngs ones look much better....

The corker I had was a 2 handed lever corker. That's now knackered.
Monkey, what corker do you use? I've seen those red hand corkers done wilkos.

yep, one of the wilkos one i use, i did actually chuck one of the old boots ones out, not really knowing how to use it :wha: but the red and white hand one i have works perfectly, gives me a sense of hard work going into all those wines lol.

up to you though, if your gonna end up buying a better one in the long run, then just go for the one dandan has :D

Funny enough the corker I broke was the one dandan had!
Was giving it a bit of whelly trying to get a bloody cork through when there was a loud
crack and the white collar split.

Aleman, those that corker fold up or can be dismantled? Don't have much in the way of storage space.

BTW is it safe to use corks on bottles that used to have a screw top?

Looks like waxed corks are the way to go then :thumb:
Cheers for everyones help here.

Amadeus said:
Aleman, those that corker fold up or can be dismantled? Don't have much in the way of storage space.

Mine dismantles, Not sure about the modern ones . . . ring and ask . . . the base is cast aluminium, and the upright unbolts form the base on mine . . . Mine gets stored in the loft when not in use . . . which has been for some time TBH :oops:

Amadeus said:
BTW is it safe to use corks on bottles that used to have a screw top?
Safe yes . . . practical . . . :hmm: . . . . probably not . . . The issue is that screw topped bottles have a bigger hole, so the cork doesn't fit as snugly . . . leakage not good. . . . You used to be able to get hold of different sized corks (Anyone remember Long B*stards ), which would work . . . but then you are back to the issue of trying to get the cork though the corker . . . not an issue with a floor standing corker which will do Champagne corks

Cheers all for the help.
I hadn't noticed the larger size of the screw tops before. I'll just use screw caps on them and just for short term storage.

So... def getting the waxed corks. Are silicon coated the same thing btw?

I've seen this twin lever corker with and adjustable plunger. Anyone used one?

Back