If you are brewing St. Peter's ruby red ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmychippy

Reaction score
This has been in bottles for 2 weeks and 5 days and I can't wait to crack one open but checked today and they are still a bit cloudy. Is this normal for this kit?

My St Peters was the dirtiest brew kit I made. After several weeks in the vessels it was still cloudy when I bottled.
After 4 weeks the bottles were as clear as anything and the beer was bright and sparkly. It turned out one of the nicest kit beers I have brewed ( made it 2 times altogether ) There was quite a bit of sediment dropped in the bottle but fortunately it was a hard deposit and didn't affect normal pouring.

Did you secondary the St Peters's? If you ferment for 14, and secondary for 7, then the amount of floating material should be a lot less.

I've done St Peter's a few times, and put 19L into the corny yesterday, I did 14day ferment, and 7 day secondary, and there was a large amount of material after 7days in the secondary.

It will settle out in a cool place - just bear with it.

From memory, the last time i bottled St Peter RR it had a lot of sediment, but a cracking beer - I left it 4weeks in the bottle before cracking it open :thumb:

At the time I didn't use a secondary vessel, but due to the St.Peters brew I now do...
there are fores and against using a secondary and its been debated often enough. But I use one all the time now.

Ok so opened first bottle after 3 weeks and 5 days - couldn't wait any longer! Tastes decent at the moment though smells a bit homebrewish I am sure it will improve - needs to be good by Christmas. Anyway my question is about the head. The kit instructions say half a teaspoon of sugar and I put a whole teaspoon in because I like a good head on my beer but there was not very much head on the first bottle it was a bit flat which was disappointing. Anyway it is very cold in the garage at the moment and I wonder whether this is inhibiting the fermentation in the bottle?After 10 days in the FV I only kept the bottles inside in the warm for 2 days and I wonder if I should have kept them in for a bit longer? Can I bring them in for a bit?

yep bring em inside for at least 2 weeks in the warm. This time of year you may need longer for them to fully carbonate. Then stick em back into the cold.

:cheers:

Checked after a week or so in the warm and now got a lovely head on it just the way I like it! Still a little young tasting but be good for Xmas I reckon.

Gonna put back in the garage in a couple of days but now bit worried they will get frozen - papers say -15 this week!!

I've got mine in the garage at the moment. Think they'll be fine. Make sure they're not sitting on the cold concrete floor. Any warmth in there rises so it'll be warmer the higher up you put them. I have wrapped mine in newspapers and recon they should be ok.

Back