If you could only drink one commercial beer for the rest of your life.......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, draft Bass was a good pint too when you got it at it's best...as long as you liked a bit of "Burton snatch".
hmmm you will have to help me out there, Burton Snatch sounds like when you are out on the pull in Burton :laugh8:
I lived in Derby and there were a few pubs that kept it at it's best, sometimes poured straight out of the barrel, zero head as it should be and gorgeous.

Pedigree was the best - and what most locals drank by choice - but did not travel (max15 miles and you could taste the difference).
Draught Bass a close second - especially direct from a barrel.
Ind Coope pubs had the comfiest seating!
It was rumoured at the time that other beers were available elsewhere in the country.

:doh: That's what happens when you try to type "blonde" while thinking about wheat beers. Leffe definitely isn't one of them, you are correct.
My recipe that I found online is as follows
22 litres
4500g Lager or Pilsner malt
400g Munich light
500g Flaked maize
100g Melanoidin
450g Golden syrup
60m mash @ 65C 20m sparge @ 75C
60m boil
40g Herbrucker @60m
30g Saaz @15m
Yeast Safbrew Abbey or an equivalent
OG 1063 FG 1010 ABV 7.0%
IBU 21.9
SRM 4.3

I've brewed the MaltMiller Leffe Clone and I quite enjoyed that, it ended up a little darker than the "real" thing but the taste was pretty close to spot on.

hmmm you will have to help me out there, Burton Snatch sounds like when you are out on the pull in Burton :laugh8:
I lived in Derby and there were a few pubs that kept it at it's best, sometimes poured straight out of the barrel, zero head as it should be and gorgeous.
Cheeky! Burton snatch was the sulphurous aroma that certain Burton beers exhibited. Allegedly due to the high sulphate content of the brewing liquor although it seems more likely to be yeast derived to me. But then what do I know?

Cheeky! Burton snatch was the sulphurous aroma that certain Burton beers exhibited. Allegedly due to the high sulphate content of the brewing liquor although it seems more likely to be yeast derived to me. But then what do I know?
I also found Pedigree and Bass both had a unique mouthfeel, I find it difficult to describe but kind of a smooth almost slippery feel with almost a wine like quality that was possibly related to the sulphorous aroma?

I also found Pedigree and Bass both had a unique mouthfeel, I find it difficult to describe but kind of a smooth almost slippery feel with almost a wine like quality that was possibly related to the sulphorous aroma?
Barnsley Bitter

Tricky...

I was very pleasantly surprised with Marstons 'P' recently - very good indeed!

Also agree with the Proper Job shout, and would also be happy with Franzikaner Weissbier.

They are all bottle conditioned and all excellent.

I am also a huge fan of Jever, I dream of being able to brew my own facsimile one day...

Wold Top Scarborough Fair is a cracking IPA. (however I tried their other beers as a little christmas treat last year and was pretty disappointed overall)

I am totally failing to choose one aren't I :rolleyes:

If it was just one... I would have to go for a really good stout, maybe a Titanic, or one of the outstanding Fernandes stouts?

Okay... I'll get my coat :coat:

For me, it would have to be Guinness Draught.

I want to revise my statement. After some more thought it would have to be Big Sky Brewing's Moose Drool Brown Ale out of Missoula Montana.

Screenshot_20211110-110027.png

I have no idea about that, so I can't say you are wrong!

This is a great thread as a 'beers to try' list. 🙂
Just had a box delivered that includes Proper Job, Fullers ESB & 1845, Spitfire, Timothy Taylor Landlord, a couple of Bateman's etc.
These are not readily available here but I need to try them as I see so many recipes and recommendations.

As for a 'beer for life'? It couldn't be too out there on the hoppiness or maltiness scale, as that would limit the temperature/foods you enjoy it with. My go-to is either Emersons Pilsner, which has a lovely NZ hop floral aroma, or their Bookbinder, which is a version of an ordinary bitter, and goes with anything...

Last edited:
Back