If you could only drink one commercial beer for the rest of your life.......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to over do it with funky flavours, and always end up back with the local staple diet...
Takes some beating and you can return the bottles and crate every week...
So Kronenbourg Alsace for me...
kronen.jpg

For sentimental reasons -- beers that I associate with a time and a place -- I could nominate London Pride & Young's Special (1970s), Marston's Pedigree (1980s), Timothy Taylor's Landlord (1990s), West Berks Good Old Boy (early 2000s), and various obscure Swiss and German beers (last 10 years). But as we're soon heading back to the UK to settle on the south coast, I'll go for Harvey's Best Bitter. Got there in the end.

I would have to go with Westvleteren Blonde.

The 12 has all the hype, the 8 is uninspiring, the Blonde is an unsung star.

For sentimental reasons -- beers that I associate with a time and a place -- I could nominate London Pride & Young's Special (1970s), Marston's Pedigree (1980s), Timothy Taylor's Landlord (1990s), West Berks Good Old Boy (early 2000s), and various obscure Swiss and German beers (last 10 years). But as we're soon heading back to the UK to settle on the south coast, I'll go for Harvey's Best Bitter. Got there in the end.
Where are you returning from, @Haversham ? If you've been away for a while it might be good to take in ten or a dozen beer festivals to catch up with whats out there. I've only been away 6 years, two of which were probably "dead" years as far as been innovation is concerned, due to the young fellow in the picture, and there are so many new beers and even styles I've never heard of:
1650986829857.png

Titanic Plum Porter. And, back in day, when the Firkin pubs were still around, Dogbolter.
I met the head brewer from gadds brewery Ramsgate at a small beer festival. I said "Dogbolter that's a blast from the past"!
He told me he had worked for Bruce's brewery who owned the Firkin pubs and it's the same beer.
Gadds DogBolter Porter 12x 500ml Bottles https://g.co/kgs/cYY1Xb

I wonder over the years does ones taste change so fond memories may not be relevant now? I remember the Dogsbollocks (Firkin) with great affection but that was before hoppy ales became the vogue - I used to like Old Pic until one night I was not very well after a few pints, too sweet for me now, and beers like Pedi only to be tolerated when there is no other choice (it has to be said Marstons have screwed the 80s version up over the years anyway.)
Amazed that Doombar is someone's favourite - was good but its not the same now (again its been corrupted) . But each to their own.

Latest posts

Back