Ikea digital thermometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfr42

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been intending to pick up one of these

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/mixing-measuring-tools/fantast-meat-thermometer-timer-digital-black-art-20103016/

since starting ag brewing, but my wilko and inherited boots thermometer (which over reads by 1-2degrees) have been fine as a tandem, just sometimes a bit slow to confirm the last few degrees.

So having gone out to get my new beer storage tables I grabbed one of these too (and a pack of their aaa batteries) to use on yesterday's brew day.

I was very impressed.

It has a switch to turn it on to either cooking (thermometer) or timer. There is also a little pull out stand, the thermometer probe is detachable and a magnet on the back (which meant I could attach it to the house boiler just inside the back door).

As a thermometer it read quickly, and confirmed my thoughts about the boots thermometer over reading. It can be set to beep when it reaches a certain temperature, so making use of the predrilled airlock hole in my peco lid I was able to have an alarm when my strike water hit 75degrees and again when it hit 100 degrees (which I'll set for maybe 95 next time as this was very close to a boil over).

In timer mode it does as expected, unfortunately it only counts up (in minutes and seconds so an extra press will lead to 99 more to correct it). It does remember the previous time, so was really handy for my late addition schedule of 10,5 and flame out.

After my first use the only thing that would improve it would be if you could get a temperature reading while timing. It does remember the previously set time but the timer stops (and resets?) when switched over to thermometer.

I think £7.25 well spent.
(For anyone wanting to spend as little time in ikea, this was with the kitchen utensils in the downstairs section of my local ikea.)
(Any young ones/young looking ones may want to remember ID as the sharp pointy probe registered it as a knife/weapon at the till - I was not ID'd)

20161002_081817.jpg

Someone else has posted a bad experience of this, maybe it isn't as good as my first impression.

Also think I paid £5.25 about a year ago so that price has fairly went up.

Mods could you maybe delete this thread.

I'll repost after a month or two and three or four more brews if the increase price has led to an improvement on mark and leon's experiences or if I too have fallen for cheap product that doesn't hold up to expectations.

It doesn't need removing, if anything it may help others make a decision. Perhaps others could share there experiences, I'm sure there are some positive ones.

I got one of these and it reads. 98 at a rolling boil. I just use it as a timer now after splashing out on a thermapen, found a reconditioned one on fleabay about 25quid I think definitely recommend getting one

I had one that would not read below 38 after a couple of brews, not sure if probe is waterproof. Maybe I was unlucky as I did drop in the mash.

Ikea gave me a refund and I got a thermopen. They read temperature in 2 or 3 sec, worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back