I'm back!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiya,

It's been a hectic month or so and it won't get any better for the next couple of months! :confused.:

It all started with a trip to visit aged relatives in the NW of England which was then followed by a week in Scotland where we stayed in the Scottish version of "Fawlty Towers" whilst taking G-granddaughter to the Aboyne Highland Games and showed her the sights. Quote of the trip has to be SWMBO who told me that "The walk around Loch Muick was a lot longer than I remembered!" (The last time we walked it was 18 years ago when we were both fit and healthy 59 year olds!)

The selling one house and buying another is not as easy when you get older. We are now down to eating off two plates and six bowls as the rest have been "packed" by SWMBO. Ditto for almost everything that I cherish (including the only 750ml beer glass that I have) and we haven't even signed a Contract yet!

We leave for France for a couple of weeks this Friday as it seems to be the only "window of opportunity" that we will have before 31st October! (BTW, no-one seems to have mentioned that a "No Deal" Brexit will mean that everyone's European Health Insurance Card will no longer be valid; and at 76 years old, any insurance quote we have obtained is horrendously expensive!)

When we get back from France, we hope to have a moving date for the new house and after we have moved I will start getting involved in the Forum again.

As a quick brewing comment, our friends in France tell us that the hop plant is growing like crazy! Maybe there will be hops to harvest when I get there; but I live more in hope than expectation.:laugh8::laugh8:

Behave whilst I am away. Photos of the Prima Donna will be forwarded in my next Post ...

... but don't hold your breath! clapaclapa

Good luck with the move and as for health insurance I have a managed gold card account with the bank which is £10 a month but covers my whole family for 90 days travel a year including health benefits.Worth checking out your bank.
P.S forgot to mention that it's covered by AIG Europe as I found out recently as I needed the policy number for our cruise in September.

I do like the Lochnagar area although haven't walked the full Loch Muick round , using it more as a way to get onto the hills.
Enjoy your trip.

Wow a forum were members care for their fellow man love it, I ain't bin here long but good luck with the house Dutto and enjoy your time in France a place I love, particularly the west coast round saint jean de monts

Chippy and the crew run a tight ship. A bit of witty banter and general **** taking in good humour is acceptable...any funny business and ya barred!!
What brought that on, Clint?
Funny business? We're brewers, for heaven's sake. Just ask Messrs Watney and Whitbread, et al.

Good luck with the move and as for health insurance I have a managed gold card account with the bank which is £10 a month but covers my whole family for 90 days travel a year including health benefits.Worth checking out your bank.
P.S forgot to mention that it's covered by AIG Europe as I found out recently as I needed the policy number for our cruise in September.
Its alright for you healthy young'uns, but get a few health 'conditions' and even worse get to 70 years old and you step outside the the cosy cover you think you have with your bank which suddenly counts for sweet FA, and additional premiums kick in. Anything untoward concerning heart and/or respiratory related especially, or upcoming or ongoing medical care and you're stuffed. .

Its alright for you healthy young'uns, but get a few health 'conditions' and even worse get to 70 years old and you step outside the the cosy cover you think you have with your bank which suddenly counts for sweet FA, and additional premiums kick in. Anything untoward concerning heart and/or respiratory related especially, or upcoming or ongoing medical care and you're stuffed. .
Hi Terry in july 2018 I had open aortic surguary for an aneurysm, big operation, my mate said see how much insurance is for travel he has a heart condition it came back at 25 quid his was off the scale, so when I went for my check up I asked my surgeon why this was he said you are brand new again, I asked him about driving and insurance he said because your aneurysm was 5.9cm you don't need to inform dvla or your insurance company now just go away and enjoy your life, which I am I consider myself lucky, these aneurysm are called the silent killer mine was found during a ct scan for something else they effect men 6 times more than women, he also said to tell both my kids to get checked when they hit 60 as they are hereditary

Last edited:
Hi Terry in july 2018 I had open aortic surguary for an aneurysm, big operation, my mate said see how much insurance is for travel he has a heart condition it came back at 25 quid his was off the scale, so when I went for my check up I asked my surgeon why this was he said you are brand new again, I asked him about driving and insurance he said because your aneurysm was 5.9cm you don't need to inform dvla or your insurance company now just go away and enjoy your life, which I am
If you go for travel insurance you have to declare all medical conditions since in the event of a medical incident you are not covered for those conditions should something you knew about come about during the period of cover. You can of course tell them but elect to exclude such conditions at your own risk. So tell them about high cholesterol, heart attack, high BP, asthma/COPD even though treated with medication and see what happens to any premium.

If you go for travel insurance you have to declare all medical conditions since in the event of a medical incident you are not covered for those conditions should something you knew about come about during the period of cover. You can of course tell them but elect to exclude such conditions at your own risk. So tell them about high cholesterol, high BP, asthma/COPD even though treated with medication and see what happens to any premium.
I did declare it Terry with the date I had the op and the hospital Royal Preston and it came back 25 quid, now I am in a different boat I have been diagnosed with mild copd from breathing flour dust for 29 years

I did declare it Terry with the date I had the op and the hospital Royal Preston and it came back 25 quid, now I am in a different boat I have been diagnosed with mild copd from breathing flour dust for 29 years
You have all my sympathy, both from a health and upcoming travel insurance premium position. And you aren't even 70!!
But just think of how poor old unhealthy sods like me and @Dutto feel ashock1

You have all my sympathy, both from a health and upcoming travel insurance premium position. And you aren't even 70!!
But just think of how poor old unhealthy sods like me and @Dutto feel ashock1
O feel for sure Terry, I am just happy I can still drive, not to bothered about going abroad so much to see here, I am down your neck of the woods next week a funeral in Bury st Edmonds and staying over in Botesdale

Chippy and the crew run a tight ship. A bit of witty banter and general **** taking in good humour is acceptable...any funny business and ya barred!!

ClintWhat brought that on, Clint??

AA - Clint was replying to the post about members caring for their fellow man
, as he says we are very hands off but trolls and spammers never last long.

Last edited:
AA - Clint was replying to the post about members caring for their fellow man
, as he says we are very hands off but trolls and spammers never last long.
Hi Chippy, My comment above about caring was very genuine and meant in a heartfelt way, it's very rare these days to find a forum as good as this one and I just don't understand how the words trolls and spammers come into it, I am very sorry if another member took my words the wrong way, please apologise on my behalf and in the future I will try and be more careful with my choice of words

Last edited:
Hi Chippy, My comment above about caring was very genuine and meant in a heartfelt way,
I am very sorry if another member took my words the wrong way, please apologise on my behalf

I think you have taken my post the wrong way, I wasn't having a pop at you I was trying to say even though it's a friendly place we still get the odd troll and spammer signing up, neither stay long.;)

I think you have taken my post the wrong way, I wasn't having a pop at you I was trying to say even though it's a friendly place we still get the odd troll and spammer signing up, neither stay long.;)
Ok sorry Chippy I had just got up when I read it so maybe jumped the gun a bit, think I will be here a long time, right I am off to the hbs for supplies got a brew planned for the weekend athumb..

I've one foot out the door (and the other is probably hanging over a coffin) but the last time I took a look at Holiday Health Insurance they wanted to charge both myself and the wife over £400 EACH for a 21 day stay in France next April! :mad:

I too was covered by my employers when I was working in all the nice places like Nigeria, Turkmenistan etc - but I still kept enough credit on my Barclaycards to pay for my own air-ambulance if I ever needed one! Luckily, I never did!

Also, SWMBO has to declare that she was diagnosed as having osteoporosis. The fact that she has since completed the course to repair the damage. If she ever got hit by a car and broke a few bones I know that any Insurance Company would put it down to her previous ailment (which was excluded from the PolicyBTW) rather than her being being hit by a car!

O feel for sure Terry, I am just happy I can still drive, not to bothered about going abroad so much to see here, I am down your neck of the woods next week a funeral in Bury st Edmonds and staying over in Botesdale

I too am happy that I can still drive. However, I have just discovered that none of the Van Rental Companies will rent me a self-drive van in order for me to move house! Apparently, once you go past 72 years of age you become ineligible!

Nearly 60 years of driving an average of 20,000 miles a year, one claim on my car Insurance and suddenly I can't hire a fecking van? Ageism is rife in this country! aheadbutt

Here's hoping that I make it to France and back because one of the reasons for going is to bring back my trailer; for which I will need a "Green Card" to tow it in France after 31st October!

That's it. Time to start packing the car. Many thanks for all the comments.

@Clint please be informed that to get rid of anyone in our family they usually have to wait until we are in our 90's! I've still got an Uncle alive so I hope to stick around for a few more years yet. I put it down to my families celibate and alcohol-free life style! :laugh8: :laugh8:

PS I've just taken up kayaking and have the bruises to prove it! Kayaks fight back when you fall out of them! athumb..athumb..

Latest posts

Back