I'm pretty sure fermentation has failed. Should I pitch more yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I brewed a oatmeal stout on Friday and haven't seen any signs of fermentation. No bubbles in the airlock, or no foam on the top. Should I put more yeast in? Or is it already ruined. Cheers.

Check lid is sealed fully and wait another few hours so should be going now or very soon you would expect

Hi, I've checked the lid I can't tighten it anymore. I opened it before to look if anything was happening inside but it just looks like black liquid no signs of anything happening. Cheers

Hi, Fermentis Safale s-04. I just sprinled it on top.
Maybe to just lag time then give it a couple more days and see. When making stouts I myself I tend to favour Nottingham yeast by lallemand it a fairly neutral yeast that ain’t to fussy about temperature and blasted through anything you put in front of it, but with any dry yeast I have always rehydrated , very simple to do and mostly fermentation begins within hours not days, so next time you brew maybe try it mate , it’s night and day 👍🍻

Maybe to just lag time then give it a couple more days and see. When making stouts I myself I tend to favour Nottingham yeast by lallemand it a fairly neutral yeast that ain’t to fussy about temperature and blasted through anything you put in front of it, but with any dry yeast I have always rehydrated , very simple to do and mostly fermentation begins within hours not days, so next time you brew maybe try it mate , it’s night and day 👍🍻
OK, thanks for the advice. I'll rehydrate next time. How long can the beer sit there in the fermenter without going bad if it hasnt fermented? It's already been there 2 days. Cheers

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll rehydrate next time. How long can the beer sit there in the fermenter without going bad if it hasnt fermented? It's already been there 2 days. Cheers
Try not to worry it will be fine for a couple more days, just don’t keep taking the lid off to check it . If nothings happening in the next few days I myself would rehydrate some Nottingham, give the brew a good thrashing to get as much air in as possible and pitch new yeast and see how it takes to start then 👍

Try not to worry it will be fine for a couple more days, just don’t keep taking the lid off to check it . If nothings happening in the next few days I myself would rehydrate some Nottingham, give the brew a good thrashing to get as much air in as possible and pitch new yeast and see how it takes to start then 👍
OK thanks again. Have a good weekend.

Whatever you do, do not aerate now! If you add more yeast either sprinkle or rehydrate. And take a gravity reading before doing anything.
Hi, don't aertate at all? And if the gravity reading has changed from the og does that mean it's already fermenting? Cheers.

Hi, don't aertate at all? And if the gravity reading has changed from the og does that mean it's already fermenting? Cheers.
Don't aerate, there is no need. And it is detrimental to aerate after a yeast has been pitched for more than 12 hours. Before doing anything take a gravity reading. So4 is normally pretty reliable.

Don't aerate, there is no need. And it is detrimental to aerate after a yeast has been pitched for more than 12 hours. Before doing anything take a gravity reading. So4 is normally pretty reliable.
OK. I think I'll take a gravity test later and see how it's looking. Cheers.

Hi, I've just done a gravity test and it's 1012 The og was 1048 so does that means it's fermentating? Just had a quick taste aswell. It tastes nice. Cheers

Latest posts

Back