Immersing Stuff To Find Small CO2 Leak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion I must have a small leak somewhere in my system. The first cylinder of CO2 I had (6.35kg) lasted well over a year, I had to change suppliers and now have 5kg cylinders but my usage hasn't really changed so would expect maybe a year out of a refill but I get maybe 5 months at best.

I've done the usual thing of spraying everything with soapy water but no bubbles to be seen.

I think dunking various bits in water whilst under pressure has to be the way to find a small leak. Obviously most of it is fine to do that with but regulators? Am I likely to damage them by giving them a quick dunk whilst under positive pressure? I have a primary attached to the cylinder but also three secondary regulators one for each keg.

With the spiralling costs of gas and potential supply issues I don't want to be wasting any.

Using the above method I did find my leak. On the end of my secondary regulators I have an isolation valve connected to a gas disconnect that I use to purge kegs, flush through Oxi / StarSan from kegs to clean my lines and so on. The valve was bubbling away under the water open or closed. It has now been removed. Don't use these, they're cr*p:

3_1_3_1.jpg

On the web site I bought it from it doesn't explicitly say suitable for gas use so I suspect it should only be for liquids, my fault. Will replace with the John Guest equivalent at some point.

Also though regarding my original question, don't immerse regulators in water! I did this with my primary + cylinder and the gauges filled up with water. Hoping it will be okay once dried out, at least it was only water and not beer. You live and learn....

I have a possible leak. My co2 is empty now, I’ve done 4 36litre batches. How many bathes does it take to go through 6kg cylinder?

Latest posts

Back