Immersion, Plate or Counter Flow?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To drop the temperature of your wort from 100C to 20C requires the removal of 800 cals/litre. Assuming a tap water starting temperature of 10C (makes the sums easier) this will require 80 litres of tap water/litre of wort. The latent heat of ice is 800 cals/litre. So 1 litre (kg) of ice will chill 1 litre of wort. So if you want to chill your wort using an immersion chiller in a bucket, I would suggest using just water initially then chuck in a bag or two of ice to achieve pitching temperature. Stirring or circulating the ice/water should help speed things up.

Last edited:
i am thinking about this problem at the moment. As i dont have a drain in my brewroom i want to keep in house as much as possible. An i really really hate having to waste water on the chill. So im looking into a home made solution. So far its a sealed 105l water tank with a coil in it. the water supply will have a pump that takes the supply through a water chilling machine( like in offices) and back to the supply. Ive almost got all of the bits. we shall see.

Latest posts

Back