Imperial stout carbing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guybrush Threepwood

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice/reassurance.

A while ago I was planning on brewing an impy stout based on a Brooklyn Black Ops recipe. The method included leaving it in plastic bucket with bourbon soaked wood chips for 6 months after initial fermentation, then introduce champagne yeast for bottling.

Things got in the way and never got round to brewing it, but now planning on it being next brew but I'm not really fussed on the bourbon part and was thinking of just bottling after fermentation as normal and letting them bottle condition for 6 months.

The thing Im not sure of is whether the bottles will carb as normal, seeing as ABV is predicted at 10.2%.

Will the yeast be able to carb the beer in the bottles with priming sugar at this level of ABV? Likely using US-05 as my weapon of choice.

Might be a daft question but dont want to wait 6 months for a beer as flat as a witches proverbial.

Any advice much appreciated.

05 should be able to carb it.
I wouldn't leave it in a plastic bucket for six months.
.Thanks for the advice 👍.

As long as I know carbonation is possible at that level. Do you think another yeast strain would by an idea to hedge my bets? Preferably dried.

But nah, I was never too keen on letting it sit in a bucket that long. It was meant to slightly oxidise it on purpose but not too keen on the idea

I have started using champagne yeast as some of mine took an age to carb even with the addition of fresh primary strain yeast. I have a 15.5% beer to bottle soon so hopefully i will let you know.
Excellent. Also if you fancy sending a bottle for 1st hand analysis, that would be acceptable 😁

Looking for a bit of advice/reassurance.

A while ago I was planning on brewing an impy stout based on a Brooklyn Black Ops recipe. The method included leaving it in plastic bucket with bourbon soaked wood chips for 6 months after initial fermentation, then introduce champagne yeast for bottling.

Things got in the way and never got round to brewing it, but now planning on it being next brew but I'm not really fussed on the bourbon part and was thinking of just bottling after fermentation as normal and letting them bottle condition for 6 months.

The thing Im not sure of is whether the bottles will carb as normal, seeing as ABV is predicted at 10.2%.

Will the yeast be able to carb the beer in the bottles with priming sugar at this level of ABV? Likely using US-05 as my weapon of choice.

Might be a daft question but dont want to wait 6 months for a beer as flat as a witches proverbial.

Any advice much appreciated.
I get 1cm head on my impys/quads at 10.5% upwards. I use mj m29 yeast thats good for up to 14%

Latest posts

Back