Imperial Stout - Oxidized?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocajunior

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Checked on a 1 gallon imperial stout that was fermenting away today and noticed the blow off tube had come out of the bowl of water it was resting in. I'm not sure how long this was the case for. Will this mean my brew is ruined? I've now changed the tube to a demijohn airlock so hoping any damage will be minimal.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Probably not if it's still fermenting as you'll still have CO2 pushing up from the fermenting vessel.

I'm sure you will be ok. If any beer style can handle some oxidation then it's an imperial stout. Besides I think your exposure to oxygen will be tiny as the beer will have sat under a blanket of CO2 with a blanket CO2 barrier in the blow off vessel. You have a greater chance of oxidation when packaging your beer.

Afternoon all,

Checked on a 1 gallon imperial stout that was fermenting away today and noticed the blow off tube had come out of the bowl of water it was resting in. I'm not sure how long this was the case for. Will this mean my brew is ruined? I've now changed the tube to a demijohn airlock so hoping any damage will be minimal.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You'll be just fine. Open fermentation isn't a problem. Imperial Stouts are very hardy, and the time you have to be careful during fermentation is if/when you cold crash. This pulls air into the fermenter.

I'm sure your beer will be delicious.

Thanks for the replies all...feeling more confident now. Thought the brew was ruined when I noticed yesterday as still very much a novice!

Thanks for the replies all...feeling more confident now. Thought the brew was ruined when I noticed yesterday as still very much a novice!
Glad you're feeling more confident. Doing is the best way to learn, and the more you brew, the more confident you'll get. I'm still in the early days of my brewing hobby(10 brews over a couple of years) but have learnt so much from each.

Latest posts

Back