Improve my mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prog99

Landlord.
Reaction score
Disclaimer - I know nothing about plumbing

Ok, I have an old school two brew bin mash tun that's been in use for years and thus I'm in no rush to replace it. However I can see scope for an improvement namely a filter on the tap using a stainless steel braided cable sleeve.

You can see in the photos that the tap thread will take a standard garden hose connection from which I think I can clamp the relevant sleeve onto but is obviously not food grade. I think its a 3/4" and that one of these may work (https://www.wickes.co.uk/Hozelock-Pro-Metal-Threaded-Garden-Hose-Pipe-Tap-Connector/p/114563) but I don't know.

Suggestions in easy to understate terms wanted! Thanks.
Pictures attached of the tap etc.
IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG

Rather than fit a filter to your tap, have you thought about using a large nylon bag? I have a cheap Tesco 24 litre coolbox that I have converted to a mash tun. All I have done is fitted a ball valve, filled the voids with insulation and then I use a BIAB type of bag in it. I never have a stuck mash/sparge and cleaning up is really easy, just lift the bag out. Something like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-LARGE...h=item5b349f147c:g:O70AAOSwB-1YwXxn:rk:2:pf:0
I have just completed my 27th brew with my coolbox mashtun and bag, its still going strong.
I haven't got a picture of it with the lid off, but you kind of get the idea. I use clamps to hold the bag in place whilst doughing in, then I take them off and put the lid on. Hole in the lid for the thermometer to keep an eye on temps. When it comes to emptying, I open the valve and either lift the bag up a bit or put my large spoon in front of the tap opening inside the tun. This speeds up the draining of it.
IMG-9722.jpg

I'm really old school(my mash tun is getting on for 17 years old) so its two brew bins inserted together with holes drilled in the inner. Would this large sack be a suitable alternative then?
I'm all for keeping it simple however.

Latest posts

Back