Improving smugglers ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBeer

Reaction score
Am drinking some lovely Munton's Smugglers ale and am wondering about how I could add hops to the next fermentation to add an adjunct to the sweetness. Only done this with IPAs - I suppose the classic route would be fuggles but at which point should they be added?

If you think it's lovely why would you change it? This isn't meant to come across as a negative point..just trying to find out what you want.
Adding hops..I would only really add a dry hop when fermentation has nearly finished. This is an endless possibility in outcomes...but I'd stick with one type to the style to see what you get.
By adjunct and sweetness..what do you want to achieve? More or less sweetness? If you want more you need an unfermentable sugar such as lactose but you may have to boil it and let it cool before adding.

Thanks for the request for clarification. I like the ale but want a bit more bitterness to contrast with the sweetness which is a bit too much for my liking. I reckon I should go down the dry hopped route then and am wondering which hop to go for and in what quantity.

Am drinking some lovely Munton's Smugglers ale and am wondering about how I could add hops to the next fermentation to add an adjunct to the sweetness. Only done this with IPAs - I suppose the classic route would be fuggles but at which point should they be added?
If you have any DME mix with water and boil for an hour with the hops. Try 10 grams of Fuggles see if that adds enough bitterness. Dry hop and you will get nothing in the way of bittering.

Back