In need of gas!! (Co2 that is)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craft_ales_project

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd kick off with a query about Co2 supplies. I have a King keg, which I use those paltry Brewgas L30/S30 canisters at c. £10 a refill for 30 shots. I'm not too impressed with the King keg (top tap) as it eats gas with little output. Firstly, I messed around with the float assembly and got it pouring, albeit slightly erratically, but the latest brew seems very reluctant to dispense, almost shy, which is a shame as it's a great tasting ale! So I purchased a 'Cask Widge' and fitted that (risking oxigenation!) but the net result is the same, I add pressure but get a lot of froth, or a lot of noise but little beer, it really is frustrating as heck!! I just bought a sparkler tap made by brewgas when I purchased my last refill as the site had an £8 minimum order! I'm going to have to wait until the next brew to swap the tap out as I daren't risk any more lid-off operations :-( Any tips or suggestions would be very welcomed!

Back on track... I figure my next step has got to be moving to a 'real' Co2 canister (and John Guest gas/beer line equipment/Corny kegs), like I've seen umpteen times on various youtube channels, so where you guys & gals buy from? I also want to go down the route of the fermentausaurus which will require Co2 to pressurise and transfer to a keg, or just to drink the beer from the fermenter. Secondly, once purchased, where can one get them refilled reliably? Does the Co2 have to be a certain standard, i.e 'food grade' or is this a dumb question, i.e Co2 is Co2 is Co2?

Cheers
Andy
3F556590-4E60-465B-B1E7-6DD75973C780.JPG

All CO2 is probably "food grade", but the containers don't have to be. You don't need to own your cylinder (and be responsible for getting it certified), CO2 places supply the cylinder. CO2 suppliers ... where? You haven't given that information.

All CO2 is probably "food grade", but the containers don't have to be. You don't need to own your cylinder (and be responsible for getting it certified), CO2 places supply the cylinder. CO2 suppliers ... where? You haven't given that information.
THanks for your reply, I should have said, I'm in Market Harborough (Leics). I've just googled it and it seems there may be a supplier locally (from the BOC website). As I'm totally new to the game do I just ask for Co2 for brewing? Are the cylinders all the same, i.e the fittings etc?

CO2 cylinders have standard fittings ("standards" are different around the world so be careful buying a regulator). Some places try to sell you "beer gas", which sounds tempting. But you should avoid "beer gas" (CO2/N2 mixed gas) until having a reason for it which may well be "never" (using plastic pressure barrels is a reason NOT to have it).

This might help? CO2 Management Primer

CO2 cylinders have standard fittings ("standards" are different around the world so be careful buying a regulator). Some places try to sell you "beer gas", which sounds tempting. But you should avoid "beer gas" (CO2/N2 mixed gas) until having a reason for it which may well be "never" (using plastic pressure barrels is a reason NOT to have it).

This might help? CO2 Management Primer
Thanks peebee. Yes I've seen the nitrogen mix, but until I brew a Guinness clone I'll stay clear! So, to recap; If I purchase say a 3Kg cylinder from a supplier, I can get it refilled/swapped locally by any local firm that supplies Co2? I'm just slightly confused by the BOC site which implies Co2 for welding as being different from other uses, like beer carbonation. I just assumed that Co2 was just that? I'm aware of the addition of Argon in Co2 for welding, but obviously I wouldn't use that!! Just want to be sure..?!

Edit: Sorry, I missed your very useful link, I'll read and digest, thanks for your help here.

Andy, I’ve gone for a 6.5kg cylinder to keep 5 cornies fresh and frothing.
I get mine from a local-ish supplier (Adams).
I think the quality varies depending on how it’s badged.
For example I used to use nitrogen by the bucketful and we purchased oxygen free nitrogen, which was just air with the oxygen removed so it had the nitrogen but also all the other trace gasses. Fine for the need I had. But it wasn’t pure nitrogen. But it was cheaper.

Andy, I’ve gone for a 6.5kg cylinder to keep 5 cornies fresh and frothing.
I get mine from a local-ish supplier (Adams).
I think the quality varies depending on how it’s badged.
For example I used to use nitrogen by the bucketful and we purchased oxygen free nitrogen, which was just air with the oxygen removed so it had the nitrogen but also all the other trace gasses. Fine for the need I had. But it wasn’t pure nitrogen. But it was cheaper.
Ah, thanks for that, I think I saw Adams when I was searching. Yorkshire gas do the bottles & refills with liquid Co2, which is great, but they're in Doncaster! I'll see if the local engineering firm on the BOC site can help out!

Andy, if you are near Leicester give Richard a call at Cheers Cellar Gas 07872 628984. He is based round there and charges £25 for a 6.35kg cylinder Of CO2 with no deposit or rental charges. I’ve used him before and recommended him to a couple of others and he has never let us down.

Andy, if you are near Leicester give Richard a call at Cheers Cellar Gas 07872 628984. He is based round there and charges £25 for a 6.35kg cylinder Of CO2 with no deposit or rental charges. I’ve used him before and recommended him to a couple of others and he has never let us down.
Wow! Soooo grateful for this, I’m just 15 miles away, it’s an awesome shout, thank you!

Word of warning about BOC. You need to set up an account with them, can't remember how much they quoted but for the average home brewer it was prohibitive. Also if you do get a BOC bottle nobody else will refill it for you, only BOC. Something about the fact that they only ever rent out their bottles so if you get one from someone else it's more than likely been robbed.

Cheers. Tom

Word of warning about BOC. You need to set up an account with them, can't remember how much they quoted but for the average home brewer it was prohibitive. Also if you do get a BOC bottle nobody else will refill it for you, only BOC. Something about the fact that they only ever rent out their bottles so if you get one from someone else it's more than likely been robbed.

Cheers. Tom
Cheers for this Tom, hopefully SkyBlue's contact will work out for me, I'll let you know!

having read this I contacted Cheers this morning. My cylinder was delivered at 4pm this afternoon. Can’t beat that for service and £25 for a no deposit 6.35kg cylinder with free delivery it’s a no brainer!

having read this I contacted Cheers this morning. My cylinder was delivered at 4pm this afternoon. Can’t beat that for service and £25 for a no deposit 6.35kg cylinder with free delivery it’s a no brainer!
You jammy git! I had to pay £60 deposit for my 6.35kg tank. In theory I will get it back but it's not like I am going to be giving up brewing any time soon.

Should last you long enough though, mate. My first one lasted about 18 months. No idea how many brews in that time but it was at least one a month, I reckon.

That sounds like a good deal, I could only get gas from a pub supplier and paid 75 as a deposit and 25 for the gas and was told of I don't refill every few months then I lose my deposit! South Wales BTW, won't mention the company as there is not much choice.

I was surprised at the no deposit having looked at Adams etc. If you are anywhere near Leicester / Nuneaton it’s a steal. I live in N Notts but work south of Leicester & he delivered to work for me.

Back