Incognito Hop Extract.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Insert Witty Comment Here
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else used this? I used it last night and the smell is amazing in the whirlpool.

I’m currently cleaning my AIO system and it smells just as good as it did last night, think this may be a bad sign. It’s very sticky showing that much of the extract is still in the tank. I’m currently doing a CIP at 50degC as it’s taking some shifting. Normally it’s just a case of a few litres of solution and a micro fibre cloth to gets things sparkling again.

If the beer comes out exceptionally good then ok, it could be worth it but I think 1/2 of it is going down the drain and not in the FV.

I may give the malt miller a call and see what they say.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/incognito-citra-15g/

Last edited:
I've got some to try so am interested to hear if they give you any advice about the best way to use it. acheers.

Unless I’m using it wrong it has an annoying negative.

It’s the stickier than a sticky thing during stick season.

I’ll try it once more but if it’s the same then I could not recommend it. The kettle is harder to clean, a good proportion of it just sits on the top and sticks to the side. This means less into the FV.

Even the FV was a little sticky in places.

Will be my next brew to do a hopless (not hopeless) with citra incognito and flex.

@LeeH did the beer come out better than you expected?

Next time I do an order of ingredients I’ll add to my basket to give a try.

I read that if you use them at whirlpool you don’t need to dry hop. That’s got to be worth an experiment.

I read that if you use them at whirlpool you don’t need to dry hop. That’s got to be worth an experiment.

Yes, I read that too, seems strange as I enjoy the dry hopping bit and what it brings to my beer.
I'll await your experiment with bated breath...........:)

That's good to hear, maybe it's the future.
Looking at the Malt Miller kit it looks great value at £25.00, then I read the bit that the Incognito is not included in the kit which bumps it up a bit ..........🙄

The b

It came out excellent, very very hop forward. Shame it’s such a sticky mess at the end.

Have you tried mixing it with a little vodka before adding it to the boil? I seem to remember the same issues when the CO2 bittering extracts came out.

This stuff is sticky as fook. I heated the little tub in boiling water before adding to the whirlpool. Made it more 'flowable' but still had to get pliers on the container and dunk in the wort time and time again to get the stuff out.

The oils are like a slick on top of the wort! The smell though once in the fermenter was something else. Huge citrus fresh squeeze aroma. I've got high hopes for this batch. Used incognito Citra with flex for bitterness, mosaic and simcoe.

There was black dots on the inside of the grainfather which had me spooked as I thought it was stainless pitting at first till I rubbed it.

Tried to take pics of the black spots and the oil slick. Not sure if it comes out too well.

PXL_20200930_142731343.MP.jpg

PXL_20200930_134342461.jpg

The smell coming from the fermenter on this prior to dry hopping is insane. Bright citrus lemon and lime smell very intense. The sample has a thick feel to it. Could be due to the slow fermentation up till this point and remaining sugars.

This is the hop schedule for a 20L batch.

Hops (239 g)
9 g (57 IBU) — Flex (CO2 Extract) 65% — Boil — 65 min

15 g
(17 IBU) — Incognito (CO2 Extract) 47.63% — Aroma — 25 min hopstand @ 86 °C

15 g
(6 IBU) — Mosaic 14.5% — Aroma — 25 min hopstand @ 86 °C

10 g
(3 IBU) — Simcoe 13.1% — Aroma — 25 min hopstand @ 86 °C

100 g
— Mosaic 11.5% — Dry Hop — 3 days

90 g
— Simcoe 13.1% — Dry Hop — 3 days

I used the SABRO one a few months back and it is fantastic, considering it was my only addition (with a token dry hop in the primary) it has maintained its flavour and aroma very well indeed.

It is super sticky, reminds me of tree sap and once on your skin does not want to come off. I found butter emulsifies it nicely and comes right off if that is off any help to anyone here.

Was hoping to use the incognito extract as a quick hoppy injection prior to bottling ... anyone say if this will work?

Back