Increase in malt prices due to summer heatwave

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny how beer prices always go up, never down. Despite the harvests.

I think a lot of the price of beer has to do with taxes, wages and mortgage.

My thoughts are, I'm glad I bought a new sack of grain a couple of weeks ago

Same, bought a sack of Minch Hook Head, at a really nice low price. Less than my last sack (which was Maris Otter). Between that, and the Dingemans Pilsen I have left, I should be good for quite a while for base malt once again. To be honest, I suspect the only place you'll see price hikes is, as usual, on products that already attract a "premium" price tag, like Maris Otter. Usually these products are overrated anyway, but you don't know that until you discover the less well known products.

As to beer prices, the beer I REALLY like hasn't gone up in price in years, it's still 4 bottles for £6 in Asda. ;) My wife even spotted a single solitary bottle of Titanic Plum Porter left on the shelf earlier today, so snagged it for me, also a part of the offer. As a bonus, more bottles to add to my collection once empty.:beer1:

Besides, let's be honest, how cheap it is to brew our own, we can absorb some increase in price in our grain, probably far more easily than the big boys can. Pence on a pint is nothing to us surely eh?

Same, bought a sack of Minch Hook Head, at a really nice low price. Less than my last sack (which was Maris Otter). Between that, and the Dingemans Pilsen I have left, I should be good for quite a while for base malt once again. To be honest, I suspect the only place you'll see price hikes is, as usual, on products that already attract a "premium" price tag, like Maris Otter. Usually these products are overrated anyway, but you don't know that until you discover the less well known products.

As to beer prices, the beer I REALLY like hasn't gone up in price in years, it's still 4 bottles for £6 in Asda. ;) My wife even spotted a single solitary bottle of Titanic Plum Porter left on the shelf earlier today, so snagged it for me, also a part of the offer. As a bonus, more bottles to add to my collection once empty.:beer1:

Besides, let's be honest, how cheap it is to brew our own, we can absorb some increase in price in our grain, probably far more easily than the big boys can. Pence on a pint is nothing to us surely eh?

Snap. I bought a sack HH pale too. As with many things, the price doesnt reflect the actual worth of the item and the seller will try to sell their goods at what they think the market will stand (seen the price of the latest iphone? over a grand!). So yes, the summer may will had an effect on the barley crop but you can bet you're bottom dollar it will be used as an excuse to hike the price of beer/grain as much as possible

What for iPhones?

Yeah, I saw something in the commuter papers the other day about the 'outrage' (although people are still buying it) of the cost of the new iphone. I cant remember the exact cost but it was over a grand (that's the highest spec one - the lowest spec is still very pricey)

What for iPhones?

I still wouldn't buy one... lol Only Apple device I ever liked was the iPod touch, and I have a 1st generation 1 that's still going strong. ;) My phone is an Honor 5C, bought sim free as I believe in getting good bang for my buck when I buy a phone. athumb.. I used to find it painful buying my wife a phone when she insisted on having a Blackberry (she loved the iddy biddy keyboards), it was such a relief when she finally realised she had no choice but switch to Android finally. I think I read the new one is something like £1500 isn't it? Silly money for a phone.

There's the thing though, the price of iPhones and the flagship Samsung has gone up and up and up, because the people who buy them have proven willing to pay more and more every year like sheep to the slaughter, however if you shop around and go for something like an Honor or the like you can get just as good a phone, often better, for a pretty similar price to what I paid years ago for the original Samsung Galaxy Ace. I'm sure the same is probably true with malt pricing, top name maltster Maris Otter and the like will creep up in price, whilst less well known maltsters will continue to present better value un-named barley, the beer you make with them though will continue to taste just as good. Meanwhile there will still be a few brewers out there insisting that this particular barley is oh so much better blah blah blah, when it really isn't, and fools like me will fall for it and end up paying a premium, until we learn better that is...;)

MO isn't a maltster it's a type of barley, some say there's a difference between MO and pale ale malt, I don't think I've noticed. There is a difference between maltsters though and I have noticed some are better than others: through higher efficiencies and malt characteristics coming through into my beer more.

I wonder if the extent of malt damage is limited to a region? It might be in the UK we're alright but on the continent they are bearing the brunt of it.

MO isn't a maltster it's a type of barley, some say there's a difference between MO and pale ale malt, I don't think I've noticed. There is a difference between maltsters though and I have noticed some are better than others: through higher efficiencies and malt characteristics coming through into my beer more.

I wonder if the extent of malt damage is limited to a region? It might be in the UK we're alright but on the continent they are bearing the brunt of it.

I didn't say that Maris Otter was a maltster. Might want to re-read my post there bud.

Apparently maltsters generally use spring barley which was badly affected by the hot summer we had, but they can top up their supplies with winter barley that comes up to spec. So maybe prices won't be so badly affected.

I didn't say that Maris Otter was a maltster.

If I'm not mistaken 'Maris' comes from a street name, and refers to a series of malts, and that there also for instance could bea Maris Badger or a Maris Mink (giving examples from the top of my head, not sure of the exact animals). So the confusion is imho understandable.

There IS a difference between MO and Hook Head; the latter is better and way cheaper.

In what way is it better? Do you get better flavour, higher efficiency? Curious to hear your experience with these malts.

Is Hook Head the Irish malt?

https://byo.com/article/grain-on-the-brain/

" (Maris is the name of the company that markets the barley seeds to growers, while Otter is the variety. Yes, there is a barley called Maris Beaver, and other varieties named after small furry creatures, butthey aren’t used in brewing.) This malt is also sometimes sold as ESB (Extra Special Bitter) malt. Darker versions are known as Amber and Mild malts."

Latest posts

Back