Individual additives for wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onemanorthree

Reaction score
I got a wine kit delivered but it arrived open and the Kieselsol, Chitosan and Stabliser had fallen out.
Company who I bought it from were sound enough to send another kit. So now I have two kits
but only one set of Kieselsol, Chitosan and Stabliser. Can I buy those separately anywhere? (I'm in Dublin)
or can I use 1/2 of each sachet in each 4.5ltrs of wine juice?

Or is there anything I can use from my beer equipment to replace the above missing additives.

I've just had a look and there doesn't seem to be a Wilko's in Dublin. You'd just be looking for 2 part wine finings. You could use gelatine - you'll find plenty on that if you do searches.

I'd probably just go with the half sachet in each. I might take a bit longer but I reckon it'll be fine if you degas, and especially if you put them somewhere really cold - which is everywhere right now.

Degass before you add the Kieselsol and Chitosan or else they won't work at clearing the wine.

Yes you degass after the wine has finished fermenting.
This is done by shaking or stiring the wine.
the instructions should advise how they want you to do it.

If you do NOT degass your wine will take longer to clear,Thats all.!!!!!
Apart from the yeast most of the sachets in a wine kit are for the purpose of quick resutlts.

If you make beer, a wine kit is a doddle.

Just bottled a Beaverdale Merlot kit. Didn't degas, didn't add stabiliser but did use the 2 finings mentioned in the OP though I don't think it really needed it. Had a glass at bottling followed by another of Isla Negra Merlot (£5 from Tescos) and although there was a slight difference between the 2 I don't think you could say 1 was superior to the other. Much impressed.

oh ok, thanks. And yes, is a doddle, just finguring out what the specific additives do was hard.
And yes, degassing does come in the instructions, except I dont think that's what they call it?

Some kits have an addback sachet this contains the fine delicate flavourings that can be lost during the manufacturers processing and is defo worth using.

Why not put one kit into the carboy and forget about it until it clears on its own....you will notice a definite improvement over the one made with all the chemicals.

When it's clear and not cloudy. You can see through it if white wine or shine a torch through the demijohn if red.

I have one going right now that I wont put anything into (chemical wise) and it should take about 4 months +/-

Latest posts

Back