Induction plate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xeno

Reaction score
Anybody use a portable induction plate outside to brew with?
Not really an option to use the cooker due to condensation and stinking the house out, I don’t mind but the
Considering gas but with the current shortage of gas I wondered if an induction plate would be better.
Could get an electric urn but would prefer a stock pot I can use for other purposes.

Just wondering if such a plate would work, looking to boil 15 ltr max.
Cheers.

I used one but now have an all-in one. Try and get one with adjustable power levels, not one that cycles on and off as the cheap ones do. I got a secondhand commercial unit from eBay. Cheaper units are also low powered, ideally you want a single hob, 3kW.

This is good but £145 - Buffalo Commercial Catering Electric Induction Hob CE208 3kw 5050984211089 | eBay - slightly used

Or touch control, brand new £155 Buffalo Touch Control Single Induction Hob 3kW - df825 - Buy Online at Nisbets FREE DELIVERY

Check your stockpot with a magnet to see if it is compatible. Stainless steel won't work unless there is an insert. Modern pots and pans are marked if they are compatible.

Last edited:
For 15l you should be fine with a small 2kw portable hob. You can pick these up for about £30 second hand. As above, check your pot is conductive and all should be fine.

A cheap portable hob won't be any good for holding a mash temperature! And if it only has temperature settings it won't be possible to control the boil.

A cheap portable hob won't be any good for holding a mash temperature! And if it only has temperature settings it won't be possible to control the boil.

Holding the temperature is more an insulation issue than a heating issue. Boil control needs a good hob, I second that, and Buffalo is a quality brand. But a few £100 more and he can have a 30 L Brew Monk.

Thanks for your responses chaps, muchly appreciated.
Brew Monk any good? not one I’ve seen much mention of.

I’m a heavy BBQ’er and smoker (Meat) and have just managed to wangle a large gas griddle..

Might take a bit of effort to wangle a Brew Monk or similar but if it’s good I’m sure I can work a compromise 😎
Gotta take one for the team 😉

I brew outdoors on the Buffalo touch. With 26 litres at 1500 watts it's boiling like crazy. That's in a plastic fermenter with insulation around it.

The Buffalo hobs pulse at under 1500 watts, which means anything below that the boil is intermittent. Tefal hobs don't have this problem and you can get them for around 50 quid. Read up to double check if the model you're looking doesn't pulse.

I brew outdoors on the Buffalo touch. With 26 litres at 1500 watts it's boiling like crazy. That's in a plastic fermenter with insulation around it.

The Buffalo hobs pulse at under 1500 watts, which means anything below that the boil is intermittent. Tefal hobs don't have this problem and you can get them for around 50 quid. Read up to double check if the model you're looking doesn't pulse.

So are the Tefal ones properly controllable and incremental under 1500 watts? Quite fancy trying out induction buy don't really want to drop £150 on the Buffalo until I decide it's for me.

Thanks for your responses chaps, muchly appreciated.
Brew Monk any good? not one I’ve seen much mention of.

I’m a heavy BBQ’er and smoker (Meat) and have just managed to wangle a large gas griddle..

Might take a bit of effort to wangle a Brew Monk or similar but if it’s good I’m sure I can work a compromise 😎
Gotta take one for the team 😉

It's one thing to get an extra induction plate into the house (convenient for when we have guests, dear!), a brewmonk/brewzilla/grainfather/whatever is completely different territory.
But I use induction and it's brilliant: easy to clean, easy to control, easy to store away after use.

So are the Tefal ones properly controllable and incremental under 1500 watts?
Yes. Don't know which model numbers so you'd have to do some research. I know some places use the big buffalo ones for big heating jobs but the Tefal's for simmering.

Yes. Don't know which model numbers so you'd have to do some research. I know some places use the big buffalo ones for big heating jobs but the Tefal's for simmering.

Cool, cheers. Sounds like they'd be ideal for brewing purposes.

I did not know the Buffalo pulsed. Proper power control is going to be expensive. I'd love to get a Tefal on the bench and measure its current draw at different power settings.

How wide is your pot? Mine is 34.5cm at the base. I'm worried this is going to interfere with the controls.

Anybody use a portable induction plate outside to brew with?
Not really an option to use the cooker due to condensation and stinking the house out, I don’t mind but the
Considering gas but with the current shortage of gas I wondered if an induction plate would be better.
Could get an electric urn but would prefer a stock pot I can use for other purposes.

Just wondering if such a plate would work, looking to boil 15 ltr max.
Cheers.

Burco/cygnet boiler works great. Had to change the tap which took a bit of figuring out but got there in the end.
Infact I’m so happy with it I’m not sure I want to part with it 🙄 I still use it for extract brews occasionally.

Yep! I don’t really use the temp dial other than full on I just turn it down when at mash temp until it clicks off so it doesn’t overheat the mash but don’t rely on it. I have covered mine in camping mat material to help hold temperature.
Capacity is a bit iffy when doing a full 23ltr brew but I start the boil at 25ltr and add boiling water at a later stage in the boil.
You will need to cover with lid for a good rolling boil but only partially, I rest my paddle across the top and rest the lid on that, watch for boil overs at the start.
You will need to change tap also, easy once figured out.

Latest posts

Back