Infection and how to remove

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a long shot here, do you use a temp controlled brew "fridge" ?
Not in a brew fridge no
But keep temps within yeast strain and have a heater to keep stable temp + after first 24hrs I keep at 10psi pressure fermentation as to stop off flavours

I did and the blow off tube was attached to the spunding valve was new

feel I’m spinning my wheels
Last clean for 6 hours and was all of my kegs and fermenters and all attachments apart from mable jumper cable although may have done that too 🤦‍♂️
Did you strip the spunding valve?

This is the pilsner that’s developing the off flavours

Attachments

• D8531273-34F6-4525-9EC1-0DC193ECC5CF.jpeg
    D8531273-34F6-4525-9EC1-0DC193ECC5CF.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 769DDBA8-D75B-45C1-B8C3-CA126A84ABB5.jpeg
    769DDBA8-D75B-45C1-B8C3-CA126A84ABB5.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 28
Not in a brew fridge no
But keep temps within yeast strain and have a heater to keep stable temp + after first 24hrs I keep at 10psi pressure fermentation as to stop off flavours
How does setting the pressure at 10 PSI stop off flavours? A fermenting wort expels more than just co2, you can include hydrogen sulphide, mercaptans and other impurities , if you must use pressure then use it 48-60 hours after adding the yeast.

How does setting the pressure at 10 PSI stop off flavours? A fermenting wort expels more than just co2, you can include hydrogen sulphide, mercaptans and other impurities , if you must use pressure then use it 48-60 hours after adding the yeast.

I mean off flavours from temp swing and esters from the yeast

I see I did only put under pressure on the last batch after 48hrs the one still fermenting, in fermzilla now

but the one before was after 24hrs and had no off flavours at all whentransferring

Probably already mentioned but throw away everything that is easily replaceable like tubing, o rings, JG fittings and disconnects. Even the line from your co2 tank.

Then fill your cornies and fv with water and add thin bleach. Leave them to soak for a couple of hours.

This worked for me. Nothing more annoying than pouring a batch down the drain, let alone 5 or 6 batches.

Probably already mentioned but throw away everything that is easily replaceable like tubing, o rings, JG fittings and disconnects. Even the line from your co2 tank.

Then fill your cornies and fv with water and add thin bleach. Leave them to soak for a couple of hours.

This worked for me. Nothing more annoying than pouring a batch down the drain, let alone 5 or 6 batches.

I did something the same. In fact, I now use a new dip tube after 3 brews.

I also dismantle everything (carbonation caps etc) after each brew and put them in the dishwasher.

Then I use PBW with hot water with my bucket blaster keg cleaner for 15mins before rinsing.

Also, I've stopped using my thermowell and Float/iSpindel's. The fewer variables the better.

I had a few batches that went down the drain recently. I put this down to yeast stress due to the hot weather spell we had. I only have one brew fridge.
Normally living in Ireland we don't get high 20s that often. I could pick the smell up after fermentation. The finished beer for me has a very sharp bite. Hop flavour and aroma is over powered.
I would look at your process. Go back to basics and brew a beer and use a standard fermentor ( bucket ).

Are you sure it’s not just that that’s what the beer tastes like when you are being critical (like a beer judge, not just moaning…). An infection is highly unlikely to produce the flavours you describe. The hop bitterness is picked up towards the back of the tongue and sweetness towards the front. Normally you’d drink without noticing the separate flavours as your brain stitches them together into a whole. Critical tasting picks the components apart just as you describe. You think you have a problem so you taste critically and there it is!

My AG Pilsner has a nice rounded sweetness to it and a moderate bitterness on the back of the tongue. It’s not infected, that’s the flavour profile.

Brew again and bottle some (even if only in PET bottles). If the taste doesn't persist, you know it's you dispense set up.

Think this may be the only option thanks @phildo79

Are you sure it’s not just that that’s what the beer tastes like when you are being critical (like a beer judge, not just moaning…). An infection is highly unlikely to produce the flavours you describe. The hop bitterness is picked up towards the back of the tongue and sweetness towards the front. Normally you’d drink without noticing the separate flavours as your brain stitches them together into a whole. Critical tasting picks the components apart just as you describe. You think you have a problem so you taste critically and there it is!

My AG Pilsner has a nice rounded sweetness to it and a moderate bitterness on the back of the tongue. It’s not infected, that’s the flavour profile.
I am certain had friends try and they can pick it up, almost no hop flavour or smell at all now and had a decent dry hop, just sharp overly bitter and no aroma.

when I tried it before I transferred felt it tasted on the money & since using old jumper cable feel that may of had the infection in in to new keg with freshly cleaned taps which had been cleaned with beerline cleaner, thoroughly rinsed and sanitised with chemsan

I did something the same. In fact, I now use a new dip tube after 3 brews.

I also dismantle everything (carbonation caps etc) after each brew and put them in the dishwasher.

Then I use PBW with hot water with my bucket blaster keg cleaner for 15mins before rinsing.

Also, I've stopped using my thermowell and Float/iSpindel's. The fewer variables the better.
Pretty much what I have been doing except I use chemclean and the carbonation caps I can run my keg cleaner through them
But like the idea of dishwasher for them

When you say you have friends taste it and they detect it are you pointing them toward the off taste because they will taste it if you subconsciously implant it in there mind. I would just give them a beer on your next brew and say nothing more than what it is and lets see if they spot anything also send some bottles out athumb.. 3 or 4 brewers and they will critique it for you

When you say you have friends taste it and they detect it are you pointing them toward the off taste because they will taste it if you subconsciously implant it in there mind. I would just give them a beer on your next brew and say nothing more than what it is and lets see if they spot anything also send some bottles out athumb.. 3 or 4 brewers and they will critique it for you

Agree with this. I think this issue is more brewing process than infection.

They are a fellow brewer and I did not lead them just asked what they thought

I will defo send some out for feed back many thanks

Agree with this. I think this issue is more brewing process than infection.
My process hasn’t changed since pressure fermenting
Fist few beers were good apart from failing to properly clean reconditioned kegs.

so can’t see what I’mdoing wrong 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back