infection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Litmus

Reaction score
HI All,

After fermentation fished, I pitched my clearing fining and this appeared a day or so later.

Looks to me like I have some kind of bacterial infection? Sorry not great photos.

Or is this just the finings clumping around something?

IMG_3907-1024x768.jpg

IMG_3908-1024x768.jpg

I am presuming you mixed your finings with boiling water and gently stirred it with a sanitised spoon or the like? Pretty hard to get an infection with a low pH and fermented wort, your biggest threat now is oxygen.

It looks like coagulated protein to me. There are very few bugs that'll take hold now. And if there is, you'll taste it fast.
But we can help a tad more with more data. Like, how many days in FV. Original gravity. Final gravity goal. Was it a kit? What yeast did you use? What fining agent was it and, like foxy said, how did you prepare it?

Thanks both,

I used water I had distilled myself, I wasnt sure about the impact of boiling water on the fining so I let it cool after distillation.

The finings were dried isinglass:

It was placed in a v type lab flask based on the values on the side of the tub (1 tspn to 500lm) shaken on and off for a few hour and stored in the fridge till I was ready to use.

I used one pot of fining for two brews and the other is fine, nothing floating.

The beer is a black IPA starting gravity post boil was 1.065 and after fermentation 1.014.

its been in the conical about 2 1/2 weeks, I have been draining trub off every few days.

I have also been keeping the c02 layer topped up from my c02 canister, if I have taken the lid off for any reason.

It was an all grain brew.

let me know your thoughts?

Latest posts

Back