Infection.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyT

Regular.
Reaction score
I’ve recently brewed a pale summer ale with MO pale malt and cascade hops that I’ve made before which was very tasty. Hence why I made it again.

However on this occasion something’s gone wrong with it. I noticed that after pitching (SA04) that the fermentation took a couple of days to get going, and that the whole process was a very slow ferment. O.g. 1050 and it finished at 1012 about three weeks later, should have been 7-10 days going on previous expererience. When I took the lid off the FV to take the final reading and keg it, I noticed a very peculiar clinical kind of smell to it. Also, instead of having a firm cake of yeast and protein in the bottom, it was all suspended in clumps throughout the brew. Some of it was sitting in a thick layer on the top, and some was where it should be, in the bottom although that too was clumpy.
It tastes of the smell and I think that I really ought to chuck it. It’s obviously some kind of infection, but I’m quite fastidious about cleanliness and I’ve never had one go off in the ten years I’ve been brewing, so I’ve no idea what it is. Any ideas?

Stop worrying and NEVER throw anything away until you are absolutely sure that it is infected; plus some yeasts leave a thick krausen on top of the brew. (The amount of krausen may also depend on the hardness or otherwise of the water being used.)

Personally, I only throw stuff away after carbonating and conditioning IF:
  • It smells strongly of vinegar.
  • It smells strongly of "Turkish Wrestler's Jockstrap". (This is a definite musty smell that is present AFTER bottling and conditioning.)
Almost all other brews will come good after carbonating and conditioning.

I’ve recently brewed a pale summer ale with MO pale malt and cascade hops that I’ve made before which was very tasty. Hence why I made it again.
ese
However on this occasion something’s gone wrong with it. I noticed that after pitching (SA04) that the fermentation took a couple of days to get going, and that the whole process was a very slow ferment. O.g. 1050 and it finished at 1012 about three weeks later, should have been 7-10 days going on previous expererience. When I took the lid off the FV to take the final reading and keg it, I noticed a very peculiar clinical kind of smell to it. Also, instead of having a firm cake of yeast and protein in the bottom, it was all suspended in clumps throughout the brew. Some of it was sitting in a thick layer on the top, and some was where it should be, in the bottom although that too was clumpy.
It tastes of the smell and I think that I really ought to chuck it. It’s obviously some kind of infection, but I’m quite fastidious about cleanliness and I’ve never had one go off in the ten years I’ve been brewing, so I’ve no idea what it is. Any ideas?
Doesn't sound promising. Did you use a new batch of yeast or a culture that had been hanging around for a while. What you describe sounds like the smell of chlorophenols, which can come from chlorine in the water, or infected yeast. If your yeast was Fermentis S-04 it should flocculate quite well and leave your beer nearly clear.
Remember, too, that no matter how fastidious you are about cleanliness, infections can be airborne, especially if you brew in the kitchen or where you store fruit and veg or plants. Do you put on a lab coat or an apron kept for the purpose before fiddling with your beers? They can get into your clothes, too. Spores from fruit going off are everywhere at this time of the year.

I certainly would not pour it down the sink yet. I would bottle it, with one in PET to keep an eye on the carbing. It might be OK in a few weeks time it might not. If you are sensible and knowledgeable about avoiding infections then you are extremely unlucky to get one in my view. The question was asked recently to forum members had they ever had a spoiling infection (in spite of apparent widespread concern about it) and the general response seemed to indicate that it was indeed a rare occurrence, affecting only a few brewers.

Doesn't sound promising. Did you use a new batch of yeast or a culture that had been hanging around for a while. What you describe sounds like the smell of chlorophenols, which can come from chlorine in the water, or infected yeast. If your yeast was Fermentis S-04 it should flocculate quite well and leave your beer nearly clear.
Remember, too, that no matter how fastidious you are about cleanliness, infections can be airborne, especially if you brew in the kitchen or where you store fruit and veg or plants. Do you put on a lab coat or an apron kept for the purpose before fiddling with your beers? They can get into your clothes, too. Spores from fruit going off are everywhere at this time of the year.

hadn’t thought of that. My OG sample Of just wort Left in kitche fermented down to final gravity itself about 3 days after brew day. I hope that happened after transfer to fv. Haven’t checked beer yet.

I went about 30 odd bees with no infection then had a spate of them.

It was indeed fermentis, and I’ve used it many times without issues. I confess that I don’t wear a lab coat but I do brew in the kitchen which of course everyone else has access to. I’ll just have to be doubly careful in the future. I haven’t chucked it yet, I’ll leave it a few weeks and see if it mellows. Thanks to all for the responses.

I had that smell in one of my brews recently. I went onto bottle it and sadly it's in the taste too, though not overwhelming and the missus can't taste. it. The trouble with phenols is that even a small amount can be detected by some people. Like you, I knew as soon as took the lid off the FV.

I don't think it's an infection: I've had infections before, they usually generate lots and lots of CO2 resulting in exploding bottles, and takes months to take hold. I think it's the result of fermenting at too high a temp. mine was fermented in the house with no temp control in that hot spell and it go rather warm. I've brewed the same beer before with the same yeast, this is the first time it's happened. I normally stop brewing June-Sept because I have seen this effect before, years ago, but have carried on this year due to pubs being shut.

Latest posts

Back