Infection?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrighty69

Reaction score
Could anyone please advise what this is floating on the surface of a supermarket juice wine? Asda red grape, Aldi apple juice, sugar, citric and tartaric acid. Been in the bucket since early May. Went to degas it and noticed it for the first time. On the finger it's a transparent film. Smell is fine but obviously haven't tasted it yet. It's been racked off and degassed with the top three inches binned. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210911_181234.jpg
    20210911_181234.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210911_181220.jpg
    20210911_181220.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 45
It looks like flowers of wine
An infection but not deadly to humans.

You need to make sure your fermenter is thoroughly cleaned and sanitised before you use it again.

Thanks. I'll bleach the fermenter today. It's the first time i've stored a batch in the garage for an extended period rather than in the kitchen. Can I drink it if sulphited or should I ditch it?

Its rather resistant to sulphite which means you would need a heavy dose to kill it.So not likely to taste good.

I think the best bet is to tip it then clean everything and start again.

BTW Flowers of wine needs air to develop,So air must have got in somewhare whilst it was standing those few months
Check everything seals properly.
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. It will go down the sink. Won't make the mistake of storing anything in the garage for an extended period again.

Remember as John said its oxygen thats your enemy when storing for any time as it causes oxidation and possible infection foot hold so fill the storage jars up to the top or at least 1/2 inch from the top just like a wine bottle athumb..

You can store things in the garage
Just make sure everything is as it should be.

What you cannot do is make a brew and leave it to hope and chance I i had 200 gallons of wine after my father passed away in the north east,I was based in London.So you can imagine the waste.!!!!

Back