Infections

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully that pdf is of some use to y'all. I had an infection a while back and couldn't find anything in it that described it. But I guess infections are a bit different than standard off flavours. I did think that there was a plethora of info in it though.

Thanks everyone, so many suggestions here. I have been pumping cleaner through the plate chiller in recent times, they are tricky to keep clean and I also wonder how I can be sure there is no cross contamination between the water and wort circuit.
I think problems with your beer can turn you hyper paranoid.
Oxidisation is an interesting suggestion, usually it is not exposed to air until bottle day, unless I dry hop.
I'll digest all these suggestions as well, and the huge pdf file ! :D

oxidation gives a clue with it giving a brown murky colour to what should be a bright beer if that helps

Always difficult to pin down off flavours as I have no idea what a skunk smells like (light struck?).
Dude, there is an easy experiment to do. When you bottle up (if that's your thing) put one or two in a clear plastic and put them in the fridge. I can almost guarantee you that when you drink them, they will have a 'funk' to them that you will be familiar to. It isn't the huge off flavour that you might think it is.

Back