Infrared Thermometer £4.10

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ordered one, untick box for insurance it,s £1 more.did not tell,cause if it don,t turn up,
i would be cursed,and my beer would be cloudy

1.5 degree accuracy... :|

I have literally no idea how this would compare with anything else though.

I tried ordering one last night, but got stuck somewhere, have managed to get it sorted now. This will be useful as my probe thermometer packed up today while I was mashing, I had ordered another one off ebay, but that is coming from China, so who knows how long that will take to arrive.

Mine arrived today! It seems to work well, don't know how accurate it is , but my cat sure loves chasing that little red dot on the carpet.

I'm using mine in the bath right now. 48c. I can determine just the right time to add more water over the next few hours and plot a graph to account for the initial dip because of the steam heating the room and the pure soapy luxury that follows. The bubble bath is disrupting my readings.

What temperature is your cat?

Funnily enough I did actually measure that. Because she is quite long haired, she is very well insulated and it measured 17°C, about the same as the ambient in the room. That got me to thinking about using cat fur as insulation for my pot while mashing, but decided to come to my senses before all the vegetablists got up in arms, again.

Funnily enough I did actually measure that. Because she is quite long haired, she is very well insulated and it measured 17°C, about the same as the ambient in the room. That got me to thinking about using cat fur as insulation for my pot while mashing, but decided to come to my senses before all the vegetablists got up in arms, again.
If you did you'd be able to measure the cats temperature accurately:laugh8:

My wife bought an infra-red thermometer for soap making, so I borrow it when I do a brew.
Much easier than a conventional dip-in type. I can even take a reading of my FV standing 5 or 6 feet away.
Its also handy to test the temperature of various household items, pets, kids, etc......

Being able to take the temp 5/6 feet away from the fv sounds great! The constant boil overs and boiling wort spitting over the kitchen can get a bit dangerous. ....

Funnily enough I did actually measure that. Because she is quite long haired, she is very well insulated and it measured 17°C, about the same as the ambient .

Pretty much the 1st thing I measured when it arrived.

Attachments

• C4EBE253-3D0F-4C4A-93DC-7DA6BC99256D.jpeg
    C4EBE253-3D0F-4C4A-93DC-7DA6BC99256D.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 123
Being able to take the temp 5/6 feet away from the fv sounds great! The constant boil overs and boiling wort spitting over the kitchen can get a bit dangerous. ....
I often think theyl be a time i drop my digital one in the boil. All.that effort and glorious malt and hops wasted. Unless of course battery acid improves hard water

I tried ordering one last night, but got stuck somewhere, have managed to get it sorted now. This will be useful as my probe thermometer packed up today while I was mashing, I had ordered another one off ebay, but that is coming from China, so who knows how long that will take to arrive.
I spose it depends on if the kid who made it was provided a decent bike by his emoloyers. Puncture repair kit, one pack of noodles and one bottle of green tea for the journey.

I have had one of these for a while. It was a good quality one from Maplin and was purchased for other purposes.

Good tool but need to be careful when measuring clear liquids or through glass as my own experience is that its not accurate for that. Also measures the temp at the top of the liquid (which may be a different temp than if a thermometer was immersed).

Good for a quick check but not for getting an accurate temp, e.g. when pitching yeast.

For that price its worth a punt as has lots of uses.

I had one in my last job, great for checking overheating equipment and computer chips. was £50 but accurate to .5 of a degree. I use a thermopen and the temp will differ how far down you insert the spike, however it's only so long so would never reach the mid point of an fv. Maybe there's a chart somewhere on internet to do a surface temp conversion to average liquid temp given surface temp and ambient temp... etc..

Back