Initial fermentation in fridge and CO2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimosabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Gents,

when I ferment in a FV i always use a heating belt and inkbird in the back room.

I have a Beko larder fridge and use that for secondary on the bottles and a heating tube and inkbird.

Is there any issue with the escaping CO2 (like a build up) if I do the initial fermentaion in the fridge using the heating tube and inkbird?

thanks

kimosabby

Should be absolutely fine. That's the setup I use, and I think many others do the same.

That's the fridge I've been using for the last 3 years and not noticed any issues, hadn't actually occurred to me either since a lot of folks use fridges for fermentation.

There's usually a drain plug at the back that leads to the evaporator dish and a conduit to the light so they're not 100% sealed unless you've had some crazy slime growth going on. And yeah I've had that. Shudder.

should be no problem its a common way of fermenting and never heard of a problem as Drunkula said they are no airtight with drainage holes and I bet you open the fridge now and again to check on it as you said its going mental so that will release any build up of Co2

one other thing related. I use an inkbird and the probe is attached to the FV with foil then bubble wrap over it. How accurate is that to th4 actual beer in the FV?

one other thing related. I use an inkbird and the probe is attached to the FV with foil then bubble wrap over it. How accurate is that to th4 actual beer in the FV?
Other than actually putting the probe in the beer which can lead to all sorts of infection issues; I think the probe in contact with FV and insulated is as accurate a method as you can use. I did this with my first ever brew fridge fermented beer (bottled last night!)

I
20200229_083831.jpg
have put a thermowell in the lid of my FV. I believe this is the most accurate way. However it dose require a little more attention when sanitizing.

I just tape a folded cloth over the probe, can't remember the specifics but I recall someone's done comparisons between that and a thermowell and it's actually pretty accurate.

Latest posts

Back