Ink bird itc 308

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyde05

Reaction score
Hi guys . I’ve just brought an Inkbird itc 308 and I understand you can submerge it in your wort . Just wanted to know if this is what most people do ? Or do you tape it to the side of the FV ?
Thanks

Putting it in direct contact with you wort adds another potential source of infection. The ideal solution is to have a thermowell in your FV, the next best is to tape it to the side of your FV as chillapickle said, with some insulating material over it.

Don't submerge it in your wort as apart from possible infection it will corrode and fail believe me. Place it in a thermo well to keep it protected or on the side of your FV.

Ok thanks for your replies. Think I will tape it to the side of the FV . Would bubble wrap work as insulating material do you think ?

Ok thanks for your replies. Think I will tape it to the side of the FV . Would bubble wrap work as insulating material do you think ?

Exactly what I use, a square of bubble wrap, taped onto the side of the FV with gaffer tape to create a pocket.

Excellent thanks for your advice. Bubble wrap or sponge it is . I must say really quick and easy to get advice on this forum when your stuck on something that extra brain matter really comes in handy . Thanks 🙏

What is the difference between the temperature of the liquid inside the fv and the outside of the fv itself? Assume you have to adjust for that?

I don’t really know to be honest but I’ve learned to trust it I’ve got a stick on Thermometer which reads higher. But my brews have never failed me with using a sponge and taping it down . And a brew fridge of course. My opinion is if it’s within a certain range and it’s Constant that’s good for me . You can put the probe in the liquid but was advised against it so never have . Very pleased with the product if I am honest. It can’t be much Difference but I’ve never bothered and have produced some lovely beer . Like I say my opinion is if it’s constant and within a certain range it’s good

Until recently I put the probe under a sponge taped to the side of a plastic FV. No idea what the temp inside the FV was, but the outside of the FV felt the same temp as the inside of the fridge, when the fridge was off.

I've recently bought a SS FV with a thermowell, and the inkbird probe goes in there. First impressions are it does seem to sense a change in temperature quicker, I guess because SS is more conductive

Latest posts

Back