Inkbird + brewbelt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mungri

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been reading on another thread about linking a brewbelt with an inkbird to control fermentation temp. I'd love a brew fridge but just haven't got the space.
Is this all I would need assuming it doesn't get to hot?
Living in Lancashire it doesn't often get hotter than the temps I need to ferment at.
Also, is a brewbelt the best option. What about a heat pad?
Thanks in advance guys.
Ian.

Do you have room for a waterbath? a builders trug or plastic box and a fish tank heater with a thermostat​ can be bought cheaply and you can put more than one DJ in at a time.

Have a look at the guide in the How To forum.

I use a brewbelt with an Inkbird and it works well. I don't think I've seen the temperature more than 0.2C from target. I have a cool cupboard that I use so don't need any cooling.

I have an overcomplicated set up that takes up very little space when not in use.

Brew belt around fv & plugged into inkbird controller. Fv sat within a cool brewing bag with a couple of bottles of frozen water.

Inkbird switches on brew belt to push temp up. After temp hits its target, belt goes off and cool bag/ice water starts to drop it down.

Not very efficient but is currently keeping my rye IPA at a steady 21C (after a few days steady at 18, 19 & 20)

I have an inkbird, will get a fridge at some stage but the inkbird controls a heat pad that the FV sits on. It works great. I previously had a big plastic box with water in that controlled an aquarium heater but this is tidier

Do you have room for a waterbath? a builders trug or plastic box and a fish tank heater with a thermostat​ can be bought cheaply and you can put more than one DJ in at a time.

Have a look at the guide in the How To forum.
Thanks Chippy
I will have a look at that. I don't use DJs though, mainly a 30Ltr FV.
Assuming a big enough trug it could be an option,

I use a brewbelt with an Inkbird and it works well. I don't think I've seen the temperature more than 0.2C from target. I have a cool cupboard that I use so don't need any cooling.
Cheers Mick
That's what I was thinking. It would be a rare occasion I'd need cooling.

I have an overcomplicated set up that takes up very little space when not in use.

Brew belt around fv & plugged into inkbird controller. Fv sat within a cool brewing bag with a couple of bottles of frozen water.

Inkbird switches on brew belt to push temp up. After temp hits its target, belt goes off and cool bag/ice water starts to drop it down.

Not very efficient but is currently keeping my rye IPA at a steady 21C (after a few days steady at 18, 19 & 20)
Cheers mate
That had come into my head as well about the water bottles if ever needed cooling.

I have an inkbird, will get a fridge at some stage but the inkbird controls a heat pad that the FV sits on. It works great. I previously had a big plastic box with water in that controlled an aquarium heater but this is tidier
Heatpad or brewbelt, not sure which is best to use. My fermentation temps generally need to be between 20 -23 degrees.

Heatpad or brewbelt, not sure which is best to use. My fermentation temps generally need to be between 20 -23 degrees.

I have mine set to 20C and it keeps it very close to that. Not sure what will happen now the temperatures are going up. I've turned off the inkbird and am letting the FV sit for a couple of days, it's holding at around 18C at the moment

I have an inkbird and a brewbelt. Never had a problem with temperature control. When the brewbelt is on the wort circulates as it heats to give an even temperature. I expect a heatpad is just as good or possiibly even better as there is a larger area being heated. The only issue with a brewbelt is that it is limited on how small it can go and I have a small FV it wont go tight around. I now have a brew fridge which I got free from freecycle but Ive never seen the cooling come on yet ex except when I had a yeast with a range of 18°-25°C which I pitched at 25° and put in the fridge set to 20°.

I might actually buy a heat mat or tube heater for the fridge.

I have an inkbird and a brewbelt. Never had a problem with temperature control. When the brewbelt is on the wort circulates as it heats to give an even temperature. I expect a heatpad is just as good or possiibly even better as there is a larger area being heated. The only issue with a brewbelt is that it is limited on how small it can go and I have a small FV it wont go tight around. I now have a brew fridge which I got free from freecycle but Ive never seen the cooling come on yet ex except when I had a yeast with a range of 18°-25°C which I pitched at 25° and put in the fridge set to 20°.

I might actually buy a heat mat or tube heater for the fridge.
I mainly use a 30Ltr FV so that wouldn't be a problem for me. I do have a 10Ltr FV I've been using for small AG brews, but going to get a Peco boiler soon so I can do bigger AG brews, so probably won't use the small FV much.
I'd love a brew fridge mind, but short of taking swmbos dishwasher out:whistle: (no chance) I've got nowhere to put one. No power in my garage or shed unfortunately.

I mainly use a 30Ltr FV so that wouldn't be a problem for me. I do have a 10Ltr FV I've been using for small AG brews, but going to get a Peco boiler soon so I can do bigger AG brews, so probably won't use the small FV much.
I'd love a brew fridge mind, but short of taking swmbos dishwasher out:whistle: (no chance) I've got nowhere to put one. No power in my garage or shed unfortunately.

For most of the year when heating is required rather than cooling thats not a problem. But what about the summer when its too hot and cooling is required?

Again not a problem. One solution is to make sure you have a good stock so dont need to brew when its hot which I know some people on here do. The other is the builders trub. A couple of years ago i was brewing and it was getting close to 30° so I put my FV in a builders trub with water in. That didnt work so after a bit of research I put a t shirt over the FV into the water. The t shirt wickes water up as it evaporates which does enough to cool the FV and kept it at a steady 20°C.

And I just thought, someone said to get an aquarium heater and put it in the trub, but why not just put the brew belt around the trub with the inkbird? As long as it doesnt melt :whistle: You could leave it like that in summer to heat it at night and cool it during the day.

For most of the year when heating is required rather than cooling thats not a problem. But what about the summer when its too hot and cooling is required?

Again not a problem. One solution is to make sure you have a good stock so dont need to brew when its hot which I know some people on here do. The other is the builders trub. A couple of years ago i was brewing and it was getting close to 30° so I put my FV in a builders trub with water in. That didnt work so after a bit of research I put a t shirt over the FV into the water. The t shirt wickes water up as it evaporates which does enough to cool the FV and kept it at a steady 20°C.

And I just thought, someone said to get an aquarium heater and put it in the trub, but why not just put the brew belt around the trub with the inkbird? As long as it doesnt melt :whistle: You could leave it like that in summer to heat it at night and cool it during the day.
Good idea with the shirt over the FV for the rare occasions it gets too warm.
Going to have a serious think about the best route to take.

Good idea with the shirt over the FV for the rare occasions it gets too warm.
Going to have a serious think about the best route to take.

one other thing, if you get a heat mat make sure it is capale of taking the weight you will put on it which w=would be the weight of the beer being brewed plus the weight of the trub and water if you went that route. I know some cheap ones are limited on weight.

Thanks Chippy
I will have a look at that. I don't use DJs though, mainly a 30Ltr FV.
Assuming a big enough trug it could be an option,

Some examples -

kurts-temp-control-setup.jpg

DSCF3450.jpg

img_0229.jpg

one other thing, if you get a heat mat make sure it is capale of taking the weight you will put on it which w=would be the weight of the beer being brewed plus the weight of the trub and water if you went that route. I know some cheap ones are limited on weight.
Cheers mate, will do.:thumb:

I've just tested my inkbird 308 in my adapted fridge which was internal temperature of 17 degrees.I'm using a reptile heater with controller at max.
Reached 20 degrees and only raised 0.1 within 10 mins.
Set to 10 and fridge kicked in but haven't had a chance to check it as I had to go to work but shall check again in the morning.
cabd1058d5c26248798e131ef90f708f.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Back