Inkbird Calibration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk34

Landlord.
Reaction score
Had a search on the forum but didn't find a definitive answer on this.

I bought a second inkbird 308 WiFi to use in my second fermentation fridge. I decided to calibrate it this morning. I boiled a kettle of water and let it cool for a few minutes. I used my 2 calibrated thermometers which were reading the same value 91.5 but the inkbird was reporting 89.1 (2.4°C) too low. This continued into the 80's. I thought job done and set the calibration temperature to 2.4°C in the app so that it matched the 2 calibrated thermometers.

I now tested tap water 7.9°C on 2 thermometers but the inkbird was showing 10.3 because of the calibration offset. That means at lower temperatures the inkbird is accurate and doesn't need the calibration. I only tested teens, 20's and 30's and the inkbird was correct which is more than sufficient for for fermentation temperature.

Anyone know if Is this normal for the inkbirds? I see @Hazelwood Brewery you use it to control boiler at mash temperatures. Does yours require calibration offset at those temps ?

It's a "single point" calibration, every thing either side of that point supposedly varies according to a "linear" or "straight-line" relationship (which it probably doesn't, but is considered "near enough"). So calibrate it to a temperature near to the temperature where you'll be using it (say 20C). and enter the difference in the "CA" setup step (press "SET" for about 3 seconds, then press "SET" about 6 times to get to the "CA" setting - don't forget to press and hold "SET" for another 3 seconds to exit and save the setting).

This is where platinum (PT100) probes are considered so "good". They measure with a more accurate "linear" relationship.

It's a "single point" calibration, every thing either side of that point supposedly varies according to a "linear" or "straight-line" relationship (which it probably doesn't, but is considered "near enough"). So calibrate it to a temperature near to the temperature where you'll be using it (say 20C). and enter the difference in the "CA" setup step (press "SET" for about 3 seconds, then press "SET" about 6 times to get to the "CA" setting - don't forget to press and hold "SET" for another 3 seconds to exit and save the setting).

This is where platinum (PT100) probes are considered so "good". They measure with a more accurate "linear" relationship.
Yeah, I have it calibrated for fermentation temperature range for ales 19°C- 23°C which means that the calibration setting is 0. Will check it some other time is I need it for mashing temps.

Was just wondering if they are all the same. Can't check my other one as it's currently in use.

So you have it measuring okay around "19°C- 23°C" with "CA" set at zero. But at 91.5°C it under-measures by about 2.4°C?

That's just the way it is!

And if they were all the same, why do they do they bother giving a setting ("CA") to alter the calibration?

You just have to accept it's "near enough" (or pay a small fortune for something better).

Latest posts

Back