Inkbird controlled mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyMick

Reaction score
Has anyone used an inkbird to control mash temperature with a burco boiler?

I suspect I could tape the temp probe to the outside of the boiler, set the mash temp then won't need to worry about the actual controls.

Is this feasible, or am I just a lazy idiot!

I've found unless you can recirculate then using a standard inkbird or even PID is a bit if a headache because the probe won't measure the overall temperature of the mash so it can be cooking down the bottom but your probe doesn't know until a few minutes later.

I had a compromise of using a PID on manual with a 2% duty cycle but I really should get a little pump.

Thank you - Didn't think of the temperature difference between the bottom and top of the boiler!

Constant stirring combined with the inkbird towards the bottom of the boiler it is then! At least until I try boiling water and calibrating the boiler controls!

There's too much temperature range in different areas of the mash

As Drunkula says a pump would be a good idea

Ive found a 12v pump specifically for homebrewers on ebay! Looks like it'll be ideal for recirculation within a burco using siphon tube, and it's only around £13.

Decided to delay starting my brew until it arrives.

Latest posts

Back