Inkbird heating only for heat pad

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might not bother then. I have a small room upstairs which seems to be ok at maintaining a temperature, so with a heat pad and an ink bird I reckon I'll be good.

Surely the secret of making decent beer is keeping it cool during the fast fermentation stage not warming it up? Unless you are an Eskimo and are brewing in a room even at cool domestic temperature (say 17C or 18C) then you will need cooling not heating IMHO.
I use a larder fridge for cooling & brew belt for heating. I brew at 19C in an attached garage. I use a Plaato as a data logger and even in the winter the brew belt doesn't see much action. On the other hand it's possible to see from the Plaato data that the fridge is active during the first couple of days of fermentation.
In the 70's my father brewed some diabolical beers in the airing cupboard & I always assumed that homebrew was rubbish. I was eventually shown the light by someone who knew what they were doing. So if you want that authentic 70's flavour brew at about 25C or more!

Does it depend on what you are brewing? My last two brews were a pale ale and an IPA which had to be fermented at 20-24c. My next will be a Saison which needs to be warmer again. I have a room that isn't heated, but has a fridge that seems to kick off a little heat to keep a constant 18-20c. I then use a brewbelt on an inkbird to top up to whatever is needed.

I understand that lager needs cold temps, but I'm not a lager fan. I was considering a fridge just for the conditioning as putting them in the shed this time of year could get too warm.

The shorter version of that question would be, do I need a fridge if I'm not brewing lagers?

Does it depend on what you are brewing? My last two brews were a pale ale and an IPA which had to be fermented at 20-24c. My next will be a Saison which needs to be warmer again. I have a room that isn't heated, but has a fridge that seems to kick off a little heat to keep a constant 18-20c. I then use a brewbelt on an inkbird to top up to whatever is needed.

I understand that lager needs cold temps, but I'm not a lager fan. I was considering a fridge just for the conditioning as putting them in the shed this time of year could get too warm.

The shorter version of that question would be, do I need a fridge if I'm not brewing lagers?
I guess if you are happy with the flavour profiles that you get from brewing at higher temperatures then that's fine, it's you who drinks most of your beer I imagine.
I don't brew lagers but generally IPAs and bitters which to my taste turn out very nice when fermented at a target temperature in the vicinity of 18 - 20C. I can imagine that some Belgian styles might get their flavour profile from higher brewing temperatures, but personally I'm not too keen on such beers. I condition either in my kegerator at 12C or bottles on a shelf in the garage which seldom gets very warm even in summer. I can appreciate that a shed in full sun would just be much too hot, but a cool spot in the house might be fine.
Sorry not a very clear answer. I guess like most people I've found a process that works for me and I have then stuck to it. I guess it would be worth reading around the topic of brewing temperature to see what the 'experts' say. Ideally experimentation is the answer but to do that you have to commit to refridgeration.

Back