Insanely Big Imperial Stout!

Discussion in 'General Recipe Discussion' started by strange-steve, Apr 22, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Apr 26, 2019 #61

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

Beer designer

I did a mini mash most of which ended up as unfermentables but the candi sugar etc, gave it the abv and it had plenty of body. 11.5% is a tidy result athumb..

2. Apr 26, 2019 #62

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

No worries at all, I'm grateful for whatever you send me :hat:

3. Apr 26, 2019 #63

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

Taking @Sadfield's suggestion of swapping some white sugar for muscovado a bit further, thoughts on subbing in some honey, golden syrup or even some dark candi syrup for a bit more complexity?

4. Apr 27, 2019 #64

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Landlord.

Honey is an odd one, it's likely to get lost in such a strongly flavoured beer so probably not the best. Something I intend to try out is a bochet-stout braggot, caramelise the honey until it's dark and add it into a stout near the end of the boil. Would probably make a bochet mead first to see what the flavour is like, but it's meant to be like toasted marshmallow.

There's a lot going on in this brew so the choice of sugar probably won't have a huge impact, but candi syrups often have a more fruity flavour to me compared to the rummy/molasses/toffee of brown sugar. Likely to be tasty either way. :-)

strange-steve likes this.
  5. May 6, 2019 #65

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

Well I'm planning on getting this brewed sometime this week since I have a couple of days off. The coffee is cold steeping, the vanilla is infusing in rum and all the ingredients are ready. I had some leftover bits and pieces of specialty malts which I've decided to chuck in, just a little brown malt and café malt which probably won't do much in such small quantities but might add a little background something.

I'll post a brewday thread when I get started with the final recipe and method. Feeling a bit of pressure on this one... :confused:

AlDaviz and Ajhutch like this.