Intensive testing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I had 4 pints last night of my stout and today I feel like I died last night, I think its about 6% but the hangover feels like I drank far more then the 4 pints I consumed. I am assuming that this is something to do with the way I fermented the beer?

Any suggestions as to what I should do differenttly next time?

I'd guess the most likely reason is fermenting at too high a temperature. Above about 25C (remember that early in fermentation your wort generates heat so its temp might be well above ambient) your yeast may produce fusel alcohols that give hangovers.
Leaving the yeast for a few days after fermentation is pretty much finished can allow it to 'clean up' some of the undesirables it might have made early in fermention so this should reduce hangover potential a bit too.

Most critical time is when the yeast is growing in the first few days. Keep it below 21c :thumb: :thumb:

I have a bitter which was brewed in the autumn and though not fusel tasting it does have a slight off flavour and too many does give a hangover, i put this down to fermentation temp pobably rising over the weekend when I was not about.

:thumb:

BrotherMalice said:
Probably not, I dont think my wife does either, maybe if I explain it better then I will be able to justify the temperature control so I can make beer that does not give her a hangover...

Yep might be a lot easier to sell than if you start talking about esters, off flavours and fusel alcohols.

:drink:

jonewer said:
Do these things really cause hangovers? I mean is there any legit evidence of this rather than just rumours on HB forums?

Apparently not (at least nothing on PubMed or Cochrane, the only sources I'm familiar with).

I read somewhere that there is no valid study that can confirm fusel alcohols give worse hangovers.

Which doesn't mean they don't, of course, just that it hasn't been proven.

Back