Interesting things DNA has found recently

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon12

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
Just thought i'd share as I found these things interesting, if you do I suggest googling about abit as some people disagree with the details and what they mean.
Known for a while all non African people groups have some Neanderthal DNA.
Discovered in 2010 a previously unknown ancient human sub species was discovered by DNA testing a finger bone thought to be Neanderthal and wasn't and some modern people groups have a percentage of DNA from them today. They have been called Denisovans and the only evidence they existed are this 1 finger bone and 2 teeth.
By finding this old DNA from these 2 and comparing to modern humans they are now speculating that there is likely other unknown ancient human subspecies DNA present in some modern people groups.

Also when scientists were saying dinosaurs are very closely related to chicken and ostrich if was based on DNA extracted from a T rex bone that was later found to be actual ostrich DNA that had somehow contaminated the sample.

No DNA has ever been recovered for any ancient human remains in Africa or from a dinosaur so all this asks more questions than it answers.

I read that Africans have DNA of another human like sub-species, much like we have Neanderthal sub-species DNA.
Also that at one time there were 4 or 5 human like species inhabiting the earth at the same time.

Last edited:
It looks like 6 known homo species existence overlapped homo sapiens though due to the few fossils of some its not clear if they are a subspecies of another. Of the 15 known extinct homo species 8 of them have been found less that 15 times and one only a small piece of skull so there could have been hundreds more that have never been discovered.

tumblr_lacaq6micl1qbipv3o1_400.gif

I like the aquatic ape theory. We have a lot in common with water living mammals. Subcutaneous fat, almost hairless skin, the ability to freedive for 6 minutes on a single breath with little practice (apparently!). We have relatively little in common with the hairy apes of Africa.
It's certainly true that Europeans have Neanderthal DNA. Some of the six fingered hunchbacks in ******* are up to 60% Neanderthal. (I left the town name for you to fill in yourselves but Burnley fits the 7 symbols.)

Back