internet connections - up/down speeds and are you happy with what you're paying for

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lupinehorror

Landlord.
Reaction score
i'm on a 'unlimited fibre extra' connection from plusnet (with a static IP). paying £25 a month inc line rental. none of the sports packages required or included.
average around 49 Mbs down and 19 Mbs up.
had a couple of glitches earlier in the year which took connection down for an hour or so but all in all i've been a happy customer of theirs for around 8 years.
what are you all grappling with currently and are you getting what's advertised? urban? suburban? out in the sticks?

Also plusnet on an FTTC package 1km from the exchange according to SamKnows.

We were getting about 50Mb with their router but the line uptimes were poor so I replaced it with a Billion Bipac 8900AX from Amazon warehouse and now get 60Mb and no disconnects.

Plus the Billion supports segregated subnets so I can put untrusted WiFi devices like Chinese IP cameras on a network isolated from our desktop PCs and provide a guest WiFi for visitors.

We were getting about 50Mb with their router but the line uptimes were poor so I replaced it with a Billion Bipac 8900AX from Amazon warehouse and now get 60Mb and no disconnects.

Plus the Billion supports segregated subnets so I can put untrusted WiFi devices like Chinese IP cameras on a network isolated from our desktop PCs and provide a guest WiFi for visitors.

That is handy.. I assume you set them all up statically. altough guest ssid is dynamic on the "chinese" subnet. does that mean you have to access your cameras from the outside?

i upgraded to an Asus router. does the same segregated 'guest' wifi which is used also for cameras as well as echo devices and ispidels.

I’m on BT FTTP. My speed fluctuates between 40mbps to 55mbps from the speed tests I’ve done (they have been months apart though) and I’ve had no issues at all throughout the home working thing, which is much better than a few of my colleagues.

I’m on BT FTTP. My speed fluctuates between 40mbps to 55mbps from the speed tests I’ve done (they have been months apart though) and I’ve had no issues at all throughout the home working thing, which is much better than a few of my colleagues.
FTTC here. worked from home every day except for 3 since march. if it weren't for a stable connection i'd have been scunnered in many ways. as you say...a few of my colleagues haven't been so lucky.

Fttc here. At the moment it’s 18 down and 5.5 up(Edinburgh suburbs). I’m sure the copper here is **** as I know where the cabinet is so should be getting higher.
Have seen it as high as 26 but the management system always throttles it down after a while.
they are putting fibre in at the moment a few streets away.
we were on cable but they had clearly oversold the bandwidth as speeds were making it unusable in the evenings.

Plusnet FTTC. 35 ish MB down, 10 ish up. Stable and reliable, I've only had a couple of glitches in the 3+ years I've been here which resolved themselves after a bit.

The original Plusnet router was pants and didn't play nice with Apple devices, so I've got hold of a recent BT Business smart hub, and that has solved all the issues.

i also have a dedicated server (along with a few VPS dotted around the place).
its speed?
download: 790.61 Mbit/s
upload: 645.71 Mbit/s
may have to move house into its data centre.

BT, as fast as I can. Middle of Glasgow

This is over WiFi and I'm fairly far from the router atm, so it is a bit faster than this. But still nowhere near fast enough for my liking.
GXaRXFk.png

I was on TalkTalk for years and they were abysmal, BT are excellent in terms of service and quality of the router/extender but the speeds in Scotland are still pretty awful in a lot of places unfortunately.

That is handy.. I assume you set them all up statically. altough guest ssid is dynamic on the "chinese" subnet. does that mean you have to access your cameras from the outside?
No the cameras are cloud based - they stream directly to a server in goodness knows where and you view them through an app or web page that logs into that server. Privacy issues obviously so we only point the cameras out at the street. As I recall I did the initial camera setup with a phone joined to the 'dodgy devices' subnet.

BT, as fast as I can. Middle of Glasgow

This is over WiFi and I'm fairly far from the router atm, so it is a bit faster than this. But still nowhere near fast enough for my liking.
GXaRXFk.png

I was on TalkTalk for years and they were abysmal, BT are excellent in terms of service and quality of the router/extender but the speeds in Scotland are still pretty awful in a lot of places unfortunately.
pretty much the middle of glasgow here also. probably 1.5km from exchange. i would like a faster upload speed (though i'm really not complaining about 19Mbs) as i do shift a lot of large data around.

Been on virgin for 15 years maybe more, had a few downs over the years but not many, I don’t understand the jargon but I think we are 200 meg it keeps 4 of us going no probs both the kids download constantly wife watches films I am on YouTube a lot so no complaints

What does FTTC mean? Is it easy to change your router?
I've used EE for years with TP link in the extension. It drops out sometimes but we're running 4 phones,2 Xbox,iPads,switch thing,laptop ...

Being on Scotland's north coast, I'm happy with 12Mbps. My neighbour only gets half that. BT has been good and OpenReach is the only provider.

What does FTTC mean? Is it easy to change your router?
Fibre To The Cabinet. The link from the exchange to the green box standing on a street somewhere near you is fibre-optic cable. The bit from that box to your door is still the old copper wire. Put your postcode into this box leaving the phone number box blank and run the checker. If you see BT FTTC in the list then it's available to you. When BT went around upgrading the boxes they stuck big "superfast broadband" stickers on the boxes to let the neighbourhood know it was there.

I've used EE for years with TP link in the extension. It drops out sometimes but we're running 4 phones,2 Xbox,iPads,switch thing,laptop ...
Aftermarket routers are usually better at managing simultaneous devices than the one that came with your subscription as well as having better overall stability.

It is easy to make the physical change to a new router but the new one will require configuring and may need you to understand some network terminology to get it right and secure. Those that come with your subscription are designed to be plug-and-play and be secure from the outset so the customer services desk isn't inundated with calls asking what vdsl2 and atm are...

Last edited:
Being on Scotland's north coast, I'm happy with 12Mbps. My neighbour only gets half that. BT has been good and OpenReach is the only provider.
My dads in Morayshire and easily gets double what we get, into the 30s

pretty much the middle of glasgow here also. probably 1.5km from exchange. i would like a faster upload speed (though i'm really not complaining about 19Mbs) as i do shift a lot of large data around.
Must be close to a cabinet though? Ours took a bit of hunting then I practically walked over it.

BT Broadband will tell you a lot of details. Just give it a landline number

Back