internet connections - up/down speeds and are you happy with what you're paying for

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clint the link below shows the different types of fibre I have FTTC and get a rock steady 70 Mbps with Talk talk (I have been with them 12 years) FTTP is only really needed if you need huge speeds and it means having quite a bit of equipment being installed inside your house if you just need a speed boost have a look at FTTC providers in your area.

Must be close to a cabinet though? Ours took a bit of hunting then I practically walked over it.

BT Broadband will tell you a lot of details. Just give it a landline number
yeah, not far away from a cabinet. i don't actually know my landline number/have forgotten (sure i could find out from plusnet site)...there isn't a phone plugged into the socket.
whatever the number is it's quite close to a local taxi company as i'd get p*shed people ring and try to book a cab. had some fun with that for a while... 🙃

I just tried an app for testing your speed...I got nearly 34 for download and 9 for uploaded. That's from my TP link point down stairs as my phone defaults to it as it's the strongest signal in that part of the house..it's connected through my wiring.

Clint the link below shows the different types of fibre I have FTTC and get a rock steady 70 Mbps with Talk talk (I have been with them 12 years) FTTP is only really needed if you need huge speeds and it means having quite a bit of equipment being installed inside your house if you just need a speed boost have a look at FTTC providers in your area.
I’m lucky enough to live in a new build (2 years old) and they are all built with FTTP as standard now where possible. The only issue is the dearth of suppliers at the moment, we are pretty much confined to BT.

I’m with VM which Is really good. Only issue was with the range of the router. When I started WFH permanently in March I noticed it was taking ages to connect to my companies VPN if I wasn’t sitting on top of the router. A colleague recommended to buy a mesh wifi extender so my company paid for a TP link Deco three WAP mesh system. It was easy to set up on the app and works fantastic. I now get a great wifi connection in every room of the house and in the garden. In fact, before the last lockdown, we went for lunch at a Restaurant five doors away from our house and I was still connected to our home wifi whilst we were in there!

Got FTTC and my provider is also Plusnet, last test was 54mb and 18mb, happy with the service as virgin aren't any where close to my place. also £25 plus line rental.
Still using their original router.
No major issues.

I'm fairly rural in Perthshire and get about 60mbps down and 20 up. It's plenty for me.

BT Halo FTTP £45 pm
Screenshot_20201222-154019.png

I'm with Talktalk they are **** they never deliver the promised speed. I had a tech out a couple of weeks ago he changed outside cable and told me that was definitely the problem.yeah whatever it's still rubbish not what they promised. Do you all know if the provider don't hit their promised speeds you can leave and not pay any tie in fees that may be in your contract. Has for speed test sites do people really trust them they differ so much.

I'm with Talktalk they are **** they never deliver the promised speed. I had a tech out a couple of weeks ago he changed outside cable and told me that was definitely the problem.yeah whatever it's still rubbish not what they promised. Do you all know if the provider don't hit their promised speeds you can leave and not pay any tie in fees that may be in your contract. Has for speed test sites do people really trust them they differ so much.
Funnily enough, of the 3 people who have raised issues with their connections in our weekly team (phone)meetings, 2 are on Talk Talk.

To get a good speed test you should connect to your hub by ethernet and make sure no other device is connected. Fast.com is my go-to speed tester.

That's interesting. On "Show us you internet speed" I didn't seem to be getting a high rate (~30/7.8), but I'm using an old HP laptop with SSD through a TP-link powerline adaptor (PA8030P). Fast.com seems to "learn" and says 45MBPS. I s'pose I should try the thing plugged straight into the router. Time of day may make a difference too.

2Mbps download
0.3Mbps upload
Glad to know it's a level playing field out there.

Pretty much the same here. In fact the speed is so bad I don’t even bother with a landline, I rely on on a 4G modem with EE, even then I’m lucky to get 20mbs down and 15mbs up. In the summer I’ll try raising and reorienting the antenna to see if I can improve things by a couple of mbs!

i don't fire up my desktop much at the moment so normally use a thinkpad for daily tasks...including gaming.
i'm on the 5GHz wifi unless i'm playing online (mostly factorio) when i plug in to the network.
agree that talk talk are p*sh in my experience.

Latest posts

Back