Invert Sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegrantickle

Regular.
Reaction score
What's happening peeps

I'm going to make some invert sugar for a RIS this weekend.

Using 1.5kg of Billingtons Light Muscovado Raw Cane sugar as the base for it. Going to make as per instructions for BI Sugar no. 1.

Sugar stats on their website are:
Typical ValuesPer 100g
Energy1670kJ
392kcal
Fat (g)0
of which saturates (g)0
Carbohydrate (g)98.1
of which sugars (g)98.1
Protein (g)0
Salt (g)0.18

How should I go about adding this to my brewing calculator? I understand there's gonna be s discrepancy, but to get it as close as possible? Just adding brown sugar on brewers friend, or the invert sugar in the global ingredients list doesn't seem right.

Cheers for any help

It should be the same calorific value inverted or not.
But home made stuff is likely to contain more water that will have to be taken into account if you want pinpoint accuracy.

If you use this amount of sugar for your RIS, just add it as this ingredient. If you need to split it up, then I suggest to weigh your pot empty, then weigh it with the end result. That way you know how much water there is still in your syrup.

I get a fermentability of 83% after I make my syrup. I.e. 83% of a certain weight of syrup contains fully fermentable sugar.

It should be the same calorific value inverted or not.
But home made stuff is likely to contain more water that will have to be taken into account if you want pinpoint accuracy.
Cheers, makes sense. Is it not the cast that inverted makes it ore fermentable however, sue to simplifying the sugars? So should change the potential?

Planning on using 700ml water for the 1.5kg of cane sugar, which I am led to believe is relatively dry?

If you use this amount of sugar for your RIS, just add it as this ingredient. If you need to split it up, then I suggest to weigh your pot empty, then weigh it with the end result. That way you know how much water there is still in your syrup.

I get a fermentability of 83% after I make my syrup. I.e. 83% of a certain weight of syrup contains fully fermentable sugar.
That's actually really helpful, cheers for that!

Its more ferment-able because it saves the yeast time from doing it all by itself
Its an enzyme called invertase that is produced and like most enzyme reactions is incredibly efficient.

I only use invert sugar for my high alcohol wines,As the yeast struggle to produce invertase at high alcohol levels

Its more ferment-able because it saves the yeast time from doing it all by itself
Its an enzyme called invertase that is produced and like most enzyme reactions is incredibly efficient.

I only use invert sugar for my high alcohol wines,As the yeast struggle to produce invertase at high alcohol levels
This kind of advice is what I'm here for. Thanks mate!

Latest posts

Back