Iodophor in homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been recommended using Iodophor as apparently it kills a lot more than Starsan. I've never used it before. With homebrew and have some questions:

• is there a specific concentration I need to buy?
  • How many ml of solution per L is recommended?
  • Is there a recommended contact time?
  • Is it ok for stainless steel?
  • Is it no rinse?
Thanks in advance!

That's the stuff. Yes I do use it on SS but can't remember the dosage, I have it marked it on the dropper I use, but it is on the instructions. A bottle lasts me around 3 years and I brew every other week.

Great, thank you both for your help! I have just bought a bottle. Because it's from a chemist I had to fill in a bunch of medical questions, like what is my diagnosis :laugh8:

Last edited:
It's quite a common brewing sanitiser in some parts of the world, lots of people used it in NZ when I lived there (it was quite easy and cheap to find as it's used lots in the dairy industry). It's even got health benefits at trace amounts because of the iodine in it. However, I remember people saying it has a tendency to discolour plastic parts over time, which only affects them visually. Don't see it much over here, maybe it's the red tape brigade. Considering switching to it as well as star san seems to be bad for the skin my hands.

There should be an old thread hanging around documenting a good way to clean/sanitise corny's. The stuff is mentioned there. I'll see if I can find it

Cheers Tom

I use between 2 and 2.5 ml in 2 litres of water. And yes at that concentration it's no rinse

Cheers Tom

I found iodophor/Videne on another forum and was told the dosage was 1.25ml and used it for years without any apparent problem (I think). I was also told to use 1 teaspoon of citric acid as I live in a hard water area (I think it lowers the ph level of the water and also when the colour from the citric acid disappears, it's exhausted). Has there been a re-formulation over the years to warrant using more iodophor per litre?

That's the stuff. Yes I do use it on SS but can't remember the dosage, I have it marked it on the dropper I use, but it is on the instructions. A bottle lasts me around 3 years and I brew every other week.

Does the efficacy not drop after the use by date? I always assumed it does, so have always ditched it.

Great, thank you both for your help! I have just bought a bottle. Because it's from a chemist I had to fill in a bunch of medical questions, like what is my diagnosis :laugh8:

Really? I've bought four or five bottles over the years, all from different chemists and have never been asked what is was for.

the red tape brigade

Who are they?

I've used Star San on two brews, one of which is conditioning and the other fermenting. To be honest, I'm not sure why I switched to Star San and can't make up my mind about it. There seems to be so much contradictory information about water hardness/cloudiness/water ph level, even that it should be mixed at a certain temperature. On the subject of iodophor, hardly any (that I remember contradiction), so much so, I considering going back already.

I found iodophor/Videne on another forum and was told the dosage was 1.25ml and used it for years without any apparent problem (I think). I was also told to use 1 teaspoon of citric acid as I live in a hard water area (I think it lowers the ph level of the water and also when the colour from the citric acid disappears, it's exhausted). Has there been a re-formulation over the years to warrant using more iodophor per litre?

2.5ml per 2 litres is what I've seen on several forums, this included although it's been mentioned as 1.25 per litre

Cheers Tom

Is it a case of it depends on the iodophor product as some have higher concentrations than others?
Really? I've bought four or five bottles over the years, all from different chemists and have never been asked what is was for.
Yeah, had to fill in a form saying what my predicament and prescription is. I said it's for homebrew and I won't be using it for medical reasons but got an email asking if I've tried milton instead. Had to respond before they would send it but got a confirmation that it's arriving tomorrow. I'm guessing in person chemists don't ask.

One last question: how reusable is it? Can I make up a batch, use it to sanitise my equipment then store it in a bottle for next time?

This is the one you want. The person who you spoke to is talking out of their hat. It's not a medicine , so you don't need a prescription or to fill out any forms. Ask to speak to the pharmacist or go elsewhere.

As for re-using it, the citric acid gives it a slight tint, which apparently disappears when the solution is exhausted. I used to re-use it, but to be honest, you'd have to be brewing an awful lot of beer to get through 500 ml at 1.25 per litre of water. If you said one batch per brew, that's well over 400 brews in around 18 months. My advice is mix at least one batch per brew.

Sorry! Photo now added
20210717_102153.jpg

Last edited:
Back