IPA too Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re-tried the IPA and it's tasting good. Pretty bitter but nice, not going to blend this one. I'm going to try again with a hopstand in a few weeks see how it differs ... ... But now I have 3 litres of a 5 IBU light extract (Muntons spraymalt) brew made with Köln yeast - that I was going to blend. Anything I can do to this to make a beverage???

That’s not a month!

Maybe add some fruit purée and sour with some lactic acid - instant fruit sour?
I know, shame on me 😄. I can never wait. Great idea! Going to give this one a shot. I'll leave the IPA another week, it's still a bit young, so that will give me something to sample at the weekend!

Re-tried the IPA and it's tasting good. Pretty bitter but nice, not going to blend this one. I'm going to try again with a hopstand in a few weeks see how it differs ... ... But now I have 3 litres of a 5 IBU light extract (Muntons spraymalt) brew made with Köln yeast - that I was going to blend. Anything I can do to this to make a beverage???

Well many NEIPAs these days have no hops added during the boil, so it would work if you dry-hop it like hell with Citra, Mosaic etc.

But also it would be a useful base for testing different hops - just bottle it and dry hop it with different varieties.

The utilisation drops at lower temperatures so to work out your IBUs work out what they would have been for an equivalent boil time and then adjust down depending on your whirlpool temperature:
90C is 50%
80C is 25%
70C is 10%
60C is 5%
<60C is 2%

So in a 23 litre batch, 100g of 12%AA in a 20min hopstand at 80C will give you…

First the IBUs at 100C for 20mins
100g x 0.12 x 0.1 x 1000 / 23 = 52 IBUs

Adjust for 80C
52 x 25% = 13 IBUs
following on from my recent IBU thread and @The Baron re-post athumb..
I'm looking at the maths...

100g = amount of hops
23 = litres
0.12 =hop AA
what is the 0.1 x 1000 for?
I can't see 20mins in the calculation
am I missing something?

following on from my recent IBU thread and @The Baron re-post athumb..
I'm looking at the maths...

100g = amount of hops
23 = litres
0.12 =hop AA
what is the 0.1 x 1000 for?
I can't see 20mins in the calculation
am I missing something?
Hi DoJ!

You’re correct with the weight, litres, and percentage AA. The 0.1 value is the utilisation of hop AA for a 20 minute boil (10% - see table below). The 1,000 is just part of the formula to make the other units easier to work with.

IMG_5915.jpeg

Back