IPA with weiss yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodak79

Reaction score
I like the idea. Anyone tried it?
How would you rate the results?
Cheers,
Chris

Hadn't realised that it was a thing. But then whatever good idea you have you can bet that someone else has already had itand patented it - see through toaster anyone.
Thanks for the response, I've added the wb yeast to my order.

Beers in this crossover style usually carry the name Hopfenweisse or Hopfenweizen, rather than India Pale Weizen. The key is selecting hops that will play nicely with banana and Clove from the yeast.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thanks for info. Any recommendations on hop additions to suit this style?

Thanks for info. Any recommendations on hop additions to suit this style?
Any hop with citrus, tropical or berry fruits. I'd look at what foods pair with banana and see what hops match (lime, papaya, strawberry). Herbal or floral notes might compliment, but I'd avoid earthy or piney hops, and maybe be careful with spicy hops adding to the Clove notes of the yeast.

I'd perhaps not over hop it. You don't want the fruitiness of the hops to mask the banana from the yeast. How about Cascade? Or Hallertauer Blanc which is a little like Citra but much lighter.

I made the India Pale Weitzen a year or so ago and it came out well using WB06 yeast. More recently I made a beer of 50% pale and 50% wheat malt and used just under 200g of El Dorado, most of it late and dry hop additions, with the same yeast. Came out really well and exactly the sort of IPA wheat cross I was after. I'm making it again soon but will try a different hop.

Some of the new world hops might work well (Wai-iti, Galaxy, motueka, kohatu), or just going bigger with some German varieties like Tradition, Saphir, Mandarina Bavaria, huell melon.

I did a hoppy Weizen a while ago using Pacific Jade.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I went to the brew shop earlier (one the way home from the hospital with the new baby) and got best option I could find - I have 100g of Hallertauer.

Congratulations on the new baby!

Also let us know how the beer comes out.

Today I'm making a similar beer to the one I mentioned above, but replacing El Dorado with Bramling X.

Hopefully should get brewing again soon. Been slowed down by having to bottle condition my grand cru (so don't have a temperature controlled space to get the next brew on) and the latest baby......but mainly the bottle conditioning!
Spent some time tonight building a platform to raise up the bottom of the kegerator, in front of the compressor. So I can now use that for brewing and cold crashing when required - at the expense of having my cornies temp controlled for a short time .

I'm drinking right now a beer that I'm sure would be classed as a black IPA but it's made with wheat malt, plain flour, extra dark DME can't remember the bittering but dry hopped with galaxy and EKG and used CML Kristalweisen yeast. I just give my beers numbers and I try them without looking what's in them and I couldn't tell it was a wheat or had flour. Half way though I glanced at the notes and thought no way - then I could taste the almost creamy thing you get from flour and wheat yeast for about a second but then it's straight back to IPA.

I love learning about the process of learning to taste differently, too. I couldn't even taste banana in wheat beers at first then half way down one beer it was like WHAT!! That's been there all the time? For me sometimes I taste, most of the time I drink, and I've got to change that if I want to become good at beer. But if you taste when you're out with your mates... urrrghhh, you get the names called.

I'm drinking right now a beer that I'm sure would be classed as a black IPA but it's made with wheat malt, plain flour, extra dark DME can't remember the bittering but dry hopped with galaxy and EKG and used CML Kristalweisen yeast. I just give my beers numbers and I try them without looking what's in them and I couldn't tell it was a wheat or had flour. Half way though I glanced at the notes and thought no way - then I could taste the almost creamy thing you get from flour and wheat yeast for about a second but then it's straight back to IPA.

I love learning about the process of learning to taste differently, too. I couldn't even taste banana in wheat beers at first then half way down one beer it was like WHAT!! That's been there all the time? For me sometimes I taste, most of the time I drink, and I've got to change that if I want to become good at beer. But if you taste when you're out with your mates... urrrghhh, you get the names called.
But it is nice to just drink, rather than than analysing things all the time.

Been away for a while. The result of this brew was, for want of a better word, a bit odd. Couldn't really describe it other than saying it was a bit bizarre and I have moved it into the "nice try - but no" bracket.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Been away for a while. The result of this brew was, for want of a better word, a bit odd. Couldn't really describe it other than saying it was a bit bizarre and I have moved it into the "nice try - but no" bracket.
Thanks for your thoughts.
What was your recipe?

Once a year I make a ipa with T-58 yeast. Not really a Weiss yeast but a very nice IPA. Lots of esters combining with the hops.

Latest posts

Back