IPA without simcoe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have all the ingredients for an extra IPA that I aim to brew tomorrow. That is apart from simcoe as the home brew shop was out of. The recipe includes Columbus, Amarillo and cententenial so I thought I would crack on anyway.

Now I am home I am thinking simcoe may be an important element as it’s quite unique. Looking through other recipes I see it’s seems to be omnipresent!

So I’ve probably got three choices

1. Crack on anyway ( not leaning towards this)
2. Crack on, but pick up some simcoe in the week then add loads of simcoe to dry hop next week to achieve balance (but would that work?)
3. Try a different recipe.

If I don’t crack on with this, I have 4.5kg Maris otter, .5kg Munich, oats and a 100g each of Columbus, Amarillo and centinial. Any recipe suggestions? Could do a smash but I would really like to use them all if possible!

Eagerly awaiting advice!

Do a Simcoe hop tea when the primary has died down, but when the tea is 'brewed' chuck it all in, both tea and hop bits and then carry on as for a dry hop. That way you should get hop flavour as well as aroma from the dry hopping. I usually make up hop tea with 100ml liquid for every 10g hop pellets.

The combination of columbus, amarillo, and centennial would make a really good IPA.
Why not give that a go and see if you like it, you can always add some simcoe via dry hop.

I would sub the Simcoe addition for a hop you have to hand. You don't have to follow a recipe exactly, just use your judgement and enjoy.

Hop tea a good idea as would adjust bittering, flavour and aroma....if it works

Using it it only dry hop would mean adjusting other hops to hit Ibu and flavour, then the option of adding smoke for aroma as needed later.

Something to think about

Hop tea a good idea as would adjust bittering, flavour and aroma....if it works

Using it it only dry hop would mean adjusting other hops to hit Ibu and flavour, then the option of adding smoke for aroma as needed later.

Something to think about
Hop tea will add virtually no bitterness, so you can discount it in your IBU calcs.

Do hop teas have a longer lasting presence than dry?
I may do a tea for my latest apa as im planning on a longer conditiong time, (cutting down c9nsumption)

Latest posts

Back