IPL recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,
At some point early in the new year during "pilsner brewing season" I would like to try to brew an IPL. I had a beer on Mykonos last year which blew me away. It was called a Bohemian Pilsner but being a resident of Bohemia I can categorically say it certainly wasn't that, but it was VERY good. I asked the brewer there what hops they used and so on and he said they do a light Saaz bittering charge and then Citra and Ekuanot for aroma/dry hop additions. very well I thought, until I went to place a bulk order for my next few brews yesterday and realised my supplier is suddenly out of Ekuanot. I was already thinking to drop the Citra, go heavier on the Ekuanot and add a slight bit of Columbus because I have some to use up. But now that is out of the window. I do have some Loral that I have never used and have no fixed plan for when I will use it.

So I was thinking something like this:

15l batch aiming for OG 1.050 and abv 5.5%

Pilsner 2kg (52.6%)
Munich I 1.5kg (39.5%)
Carapils 200g (5.3%)
Melanoidin 100g (2.6%)

90 min boil
Saaz 20g @60 14ibu
Columbus 25g @5 18ibu
Loral 30g @hopstand 7ibu

Loral @dry hop approx 50g?

Fermenting with S-23.

My concern is I won't get the fruity citrus that I would have from the Ekuanot so not sure whether to bite the bullet and get a packet anyway and save the Loral? On the other hand Loral apparantly being like a "super noble" it might play nice with the Saaz? I could also drop the Columbus completely and do all aroma with the Loral? I would also have a fair amount of Sladek in stock.
With the malt I may well drop the Melanoidin? I usually add it to my pilsner recipes as a decoction cheat but in this case it might not be necessary. Could just up the Munich or add some Vienna if not.

Any advice welcome, I am a good couple of months away from brewing this so the recipe is still in a fairly rough draft form.

Online Store | brewstore £6.75 for 100g pellets here, delivered - if you don't mind mixing suppliers? I usually bulk order a load of malt and my most common hops from malt Miller, and then grab additional hops and yeasts from crossmyloof - they are good in my experience.

Online Store | brewstore £6.75 for 100g pellets here, delivered - if you don't mind mixing suppliers? I usually bulk order a load of malt and my most common hops from malt Miller, and then grab additional hops and yeasts from crossmyloof - they are good in my experience.
Thanks, yep i could do that! I live in the Czech Republic though so would probably use an online store here. Its annoying as I just put in an order to one for chemiprox, caps, dextrose etc that I can't get from my malt, hops, yeast supplier and could have added the hops there. But at that point my normal one had them!
I'm going home to the UK for Christmas and was thinking I might order some to get delivered to my Dads. We can't get Strata here yet and I wouldnt mind trying HBC631 as I had a nice beer using that hop recently. So if find a store selling all three I probably will do that. (As long as we are still allowed in the country!)

On a different note, I did visit my supplier this morning to pick the stuff up and they did tell me that Weyermann had raised prices by about £100 per tonne and that their own malt was also going up by about £35 a tonne. Not a massive increase for homebrewing proportions but still

I would say that if you can get the Ekuanot go with that, I am no expert but the recipe looks good to me. I did a Kiwi Pilsner last year which I bittered with Magnum and flavour/aroma hopped with Riwaka, I thought it was pretty good.

Latest posts

Back