Irish stout brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
My daughter's been on at me to teach her how to brew beer, so today's the day. She particularly wanted some stout so we've gone for a bog standard Irish stout straight out of the Greg Hughes book which is:

8lb 6oz pale malt
1lb 2oz flaked barley
1lb roast barley
3.5oz chocolate malt

2oz EKG hops

Currently the grains are in the bag mashing.
My only worry is that she's going to imagine that the finished product is all hers even though I bought all the ingredients.:lol:

All has gone well so far except for a boil-over when we put the Irish moss in. A bit of a surprise as there was at least 4 inches of clearance between the wort and the top of the boiler.
Enormously tasty wort I must say - quite thick and creamy and sweet of course.

Sounds good to me, too. Dark beers like Porter and Stout are my current "thing". Always liked a dark beer with cider, despite a youthful experience that was slightly unpleasant.

This is a recipe I am planning on doing as a 1 can Partial Mash and ~2.5kg of grain altogether. I would need to pick up some flaked barley with my next big ingredients order, including a 25kg sack of base malt.

Hope the beer goes well, and you get to salvage a few for your own consumption :cheers:

Latest posts

Back