Irish Stout from GEB planned - any advice welcome

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptn_Needa

Chookity-pok
Reaction score
Afternoon all, hope everyone is well

I've ordered (and received) an Irish Stout AG kit from Get Er Brewed and plan to have the brew day next Saturday (5th Sept).

I've never done a Stout before (if you ignore the Coopers extract kit I did years ago and ruined with a whole tin of black treacle :laugh8:) and was wondering if there are any tips or secrets to nailing this style?

It'll be BIAB

The kit comprises the following:
  • 1 x 3.920kg Marris Otter Malt
  • 1 x 0.110kg Brown Malt
  • 1 x 0.110kg Chocolate Malt
  • 1 x 0.480kg Roast Barley Malt
  • 1 x 0.330kg Malted Wheat
  • 1 x Lallemand Nottingham Yeast - 11g
  • 1 x 60g Fuggles Hops
  • 1 x 30g Challenger Hops
Instructions are here https://www.geterbrewed.com/pdfs/pdfs/Crisp-Irish-Stout.pdf

I'm a little confused over how much this will make as I thought it would be 25l (in to the fermentor) but the instructions say 17l mash liquor volume.
Is the 17l just what you'd end up with pre-sparge or something like that? Or is 17l what I should expect to be going in to the fermentor after loss to grain and boil off?

Treacle is burned sugar, a whole tin could be overkill. 17L is the amount they say to add to the mash, you will need to sparge as well to end up with approximately 30l before boiling. You should lose 5l to the grain and whatever evaporates during the boil. I generally do 25l mash and 15l sparge or do a full volume mash if you have space.

Treacle is burned sugar, a whole tin could be overkill
It was :laugh8:

17L is the amount they say to add to the mash, you will need to sparge as well to end up with approximately 30l before boiling. You should lose 5l to the grain and whatever evaporates during the boil. I generally do 25l mash and 15l sparge or do a full volume mash if you have space.
Perfect, thanks BeerCat

Latest posts

Back