Is a Blow-off Tube Actually Necessary?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used a blow off tube since a milk stout became infected after the airlock liquid was expelled.

Darker beers always seem to have ridiculous krausen and in this instance I wasn't there to top up the airlock liquid as I'd usually be, but blow offs are just easier and safer IMO.

I have an SS Brewtech brew bucket and have just upgraded to a domed lid with pressure transfer fitting so an airlock wouldn't fit in my ferm fridge in any case.

I don't even use am airlock unless I'm making lager, I just put the lid on the FV loosely to let the CO2 escape. I've never had a problem except once I tried a new yeast (Yorkshire square liquid yeast) and it spilled over. I also had a problem bottle conditioning that batch (no fermentation for weeks then had gushers) so I just went back to Burton ale yeast.

I’ve only just started using a blow tube when fermenting in the fridge instead of the short air locks. Huge improvement and I can hear the fermentation which pleases me. 😀

I’ve only just started using a blow tube when fermenting in the fridge instead of the short air locks. Huge improvement and I can hear the fermentation which pleases me. 😀

I originally started to use a blow off tube because a very active fermentation would blow all the water out of the airlock i then had one go through the airlock and was glad it was all in the jar and not all over the FV and wall, here is my 30 bottle wine i started two days ago.

Turn the volume up its a bit low.

Latest posts

Back